[SOLVED] Power button on/off switch BROKE

Post here to get support
T50Japan
Beginner

[SOLVED] Power button on/off switch BROKE

Post by T50Japan »

Well it was great! I finally got the hang of it, 20 charges later, it would not turn on. My on/off switch broke (SW1) :shock: . It seems the black plastic part of the on/off switch has fallen apart. Suggestions?

ON/OFF SW1
http://wiki.bitcraze.se/_media/projects ... nt_top.pdf
Fastest Crazyflie ,'><,'
jweather
Beginner

Re: Power button on/off switch BROKE

Post by jweather »

My power button just fell out too on a hard landing (is there any other kind? Not yet!). Use a little jumper wire to short the metal on the sides of the switch together momentarily. For style points build a little "key" for your Crazyflie out of Sugru with the wires in the right spot. :)
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the switch. You could just short it like jweather does or have a look at this page on the wiki, order a new one and replace it.

/Marcus
T50Japan
Beginner

Post by T50Japan »

Big Thanks Marcus, that is exactly what I was hoping for. 8-) SW1 - Power switch: B3U-3000P
The suppport here is amazing :!: Thanks
marcus wrote:Hi,

Sorry to hear about the switch. You could just short it like jweather does or have a look at this page on the wiki, order a new one and replace it.

/Marcus
Fastest Crazyflie ,'><,'
Vew
Beginner

Post by Vew »

Mine fell apart too when I first tried to power it on the first time. If the pad is still inside, just get something small and poke it. It will turn on. If the pad fell out and it's just the traces inside the button housing, I use tweezers to short it each time.
T50Japan
Beginner

Post by T50Japan »

I went with the B3U-1000P switch at about $1. It tends to be a more sturdy built. The turning on and off process feels much better then the original.
Attachments
IMG_20130512_213648.jpg
IMG_20130512_213648.jpg (198.98 KiB) Viewed 21361 times
Fastest Crazyflie ,'><,'
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

T50Japan wrote:I went with the B3U-1000P switch at about $1. It tends to be a more sturdy built. The turning on and off process feels much better then the original.
Glad to see it's fixed. We actually tried this switch for a couple of prototypes but the problem was that we couldn't turn the Crazyflie off if the propellers were spinning :shock:

/Marcus
dunbarton
Beginner

Post by dunbarton »

This pushbutton-on-top unit would be preferable for idiots like me, who initially assumed the original switch was a slide switch because (a) it looks like one and (b) I'd never seen a side-mounted pushbutton. My first few minutes trying to power it up were spent fruitlessly pushing the thing sideways before I calmed down and thought about it. While it's absolutely true that the wiki introduction page says
Power it on by pressing the power button
this was not quite unambiguous enough to clue me in. Someone might want to modify this to use the word "pushbutton".
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Thanks for the tip, we will change the instruction.
ireuben
Beginner

Re: [SOLVED] Power button on/off switch BROKE

Post by ireuben »

I thought it was a slide switch too, and the first time I tried to use it I broke it. =/ Something popped off, and I found the dark switch part (that sticks out on the side) and it looks like the pad is still there too, but the switch part doesn't stay in place so I assume there was a second piece that is still lost. I was amazed I found the first one...

I had tried to switch it off while it was on USB power, which I now assume doesn't work. I had updated the firmware, and was playing around with seeing that the client was reading the values form it, and then right as I was about to unplug it and continue, I thought I'd try turning it off.

A switch with some sort of feedback (a clicky button or a slide switch) would be nice. =)