Telemmetry slanted, but fly on straight surface

Post here to get support
mvi
Beginner

Telemmetry slanted, but fly on straight surface

Post by mvi »

So I've fully flown it a few times. It is fantastic to fly this thing around; extremely nimble, but it moves extremely fast.

In any case, I can't fly it anymore. One of the sensors seems to be acting out since I can't balance it anymore and when I place it on a straight surface, the telemmetry screen shows it as slightly sideways (see screenshot). Consequently, it is off-balance when I try to have it take off and it just ends up turning around. Any idea on how to resolve it or did I accidentally damage it when flying around? If so, any replacement options?

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 3.36.30 PM.png
Last edited by mvi on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
foosel
Expert

Re: Telemmetry showing sideways, but fly on a straight surfa

Post by foosel »

Do you get any error messages in the console tab?
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
mvi
Beginner

Post by mvi »

Quite a few. The most relevant one seems to be "Unable to find variable [stabalizer.roll].

Updated with screenshot of the console log.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 3.53.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-01 at 3.50.16 PM.png
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

Sorry, I meant the actual CF console output, either in the corresponding tab or as a toolbox:
Greenshot_2013-06-01_16-07-19.jpg
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
mvi
Beginner

Post by mvi »

No error, just:
ng!
SYS: Build 26:5f65b66e004d (Production-V2) CLEAN
SYS: I am 0x872030305356854966BFF54 and I have 128KB of flash!
IMU: MPU6050 I2C connection [OK].
IMU: HMC5883 I2C connection [OK].
IMU: MS5611 I2C connection [OK].
MPU6050: Self test [OK].
HMC5883L: Self test [OK].
MS5611: Self test [OK].
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

This looks fine... And the horizon stays this slanted even after multiple "reboots" of the CF (while keeping it completely straight)?
mvi
Beginner

Post by mvi »

Finally, after letting it discharge completely and rebooting everything a few times, things seem to be working again. Thank you foosel.
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: [SOLVED] Telemmetry slanted, but fly on straight surface

Post by marcus »

Hi,

It could also be this issue that you are seeing. When this happens the readings get very sluggish and when placed on a flat horizontal surface the reading is off (and it's not possible to fly).

/Marcus
fluxion
Beginner

Post by fluxion »

mvi wrote:Finally, after letting it discharge completely and rebooting everything a few times, things seem to be working again. Thank you foosel.
I'm still having this exact same issue, almost identical [mis-]orientation on the telemetry data as interpreted by CF client as well.

I tried removing the battery for 30 minutes, then a dozen or so reboots on a level surface, and I unfortunately can't seem to correct the issue in my case.

I've flashed firmware to current hg tip as well, no avail.

And ideas? I poked around in the source to see if I could maybe force re-calibration but as far as I can tell it does the same re-calibration on every reboot so I'm starting to worry it's not just a matter of startup calibration and that maybe the sensors themselves are screwed, or in some funky state.

The extreme rightward flight trajectory seems to suggests the software is trying to correct the orientation based on this faulty telemetry so I'm pretty sure this is the root problem.

I also tried configure my own input settings profile for my ps3 controller based on other comments i've seen here, but that didn't do the trick either. A full roll-input to the left while increasing throttle seems to help but it's still veering to the right overall.

I should also add that it's been like this from the very first run, before any crashes or anything, and I haven't had any hard crashes since them since i haven't really been trying to fly it before getting it calibrated.

Any ideas?
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: [SOLVED] Telemmetry slanted, but fly on straight surface

Post by tobias »

It might be a problem with the MPU6050 sensor. First can you try the FW from this post that will print the self test values and post the values here. From them we can probably tell if there is something wrong with the sensor. Be sure to power it on when placed on a stable surface to get correct readings and then connect to the Crazyflie and look into the console output in the cfclient.

If there is a problem with the sensor Seeedstudio should cover it (either fix it or replace the unit) but it might take some time (shipping etc) so it is better to try to find the potential problem first before involving them.