Problems with AI deck and bootloader

Discussions about the AI-deck
lucdani12
Beginner

Problems with AI deck and bootloader

Post by lucdani12 »

I'm working on the AI deck for my master thesis at university of L'Aquila and i have some problems.
I've seen that the topic is hot and new so, due to the lack of JTAG cable component, i'm trying to do all the stuffs via WIFI and using the crazyradio.
I've updated the crazyflie firmware and the nrf one too without any problems.
I setupped via tb make menuconfig my access point and my pc sees the AI deck AP and can connect (the NINA led flashes fast).

The real problem is that i shurely compromised something regarding the GAP8. Infacts the LED2 does not blink.

I tried to upload the bootloader using what Marcus said in other posts, and as first try it worked untill 60% of installation, then the crazyflie restarted and now if i retry, i'm stuck with "socket connected" and nothing happens.
My experience with embedded systems is low and is an academy level. So i struggle finding what is really happened in a such low level.
What can i do? Do i really need the JTAG cable?
Thanks all for the help!

P.S. I tried to upload the wifi stream example but it stucks at 2%.

P.P.S. Randomly, the LED2 returns to blink, after change an empty battery with a charged one. I'm so confused.

More updates: with the help of the console tab of the cfclient, this string comes: "ESP32: W (121464) ROUTER: Cannot route from GAP8 [0x00] to [0x00]" when the terminal is stuck with "socket connected".
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Problems with AI deck and bootloader

Post by marcus »

Hi!

Ok, let's see if we can fix this. Here's a few questions just to double check:
  • Did you successfully flash the GAP8 bootloader via JTAG?
  • Are you flashing your application via WiFi or the Crazyradio PA?
  • Can you try to re-flash it again to see if you reach 100% and it works then?
  • Have you run the application before without the bootloader?
Once the bootloader is flashed it will be possible to upload new firmware that will be executed after the bootloader (the bootloader will still be there). But if the upload of a new firmware does complete to 100% it's possible that it's started but crashes and this might be the reason for the LED not blinking.
lucdani12
Beginner

Post by lucdani12 »

Hi Marcus, thanks for your reply.

So, i will provide more info:
  • I didn't flashed the GAP8 bootloader via JTAG because I don't have physically the hardware: my university have to bought the JTAG for me, but first asked me if this purchase is strictly necessary. Then i read about the possibility of flashing bootloader without this additional hardware; if i can't overcome these problems, i will ask my university to buy JTAG, infact, i thought that would be interesting to emphatize in my thesis that all flashing procedures are done over the air.
  • I tried both. To be accurate:
    - i tried via radio, but crazyflie seems to reboot randomly, at any percentage (it can be 2%, 60%, 98%)
    - i tried via wifi, as AP, and also connecting AI deck to my local network. Both failed stucked at "socket connected".
  • When randomly the flashing via radio reaches 100% and all seems to be good, when i go for the wifi streamer example, it ask for wifi connection and the problem above recurs (socket connected but nothing happens)
  • Yes, i tried before bootloader, but, same problems.
At the time i speak, both leds are flashing.
So my primary need is to know if i teorically can get the wifi streamer example work without the JTAG, if yes, fix the "physical" problems.
Thank you so much for your time.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Ok, thanks for the information.

Upcoming batches of the AI deck will have the bootloader flashed in factory, but unfortunately the one we're selling now doesn't have the GAP8 bootloader. This means you will first have to flash the GAP8 bootloader via JTAG and after that you can use the radio bootloader.
lucdani12
Beginner

Post by lucdani12 »

Hi Marcus, thanks for your reply.
Ok this means that i will ask my university to the JTAG. If i have some further problems, i will resume this thread.
Have a nice day, Luca.