Crazyflie Bolt parts are damaged when trying to fly a DIY drone.

Discussions about quadcopters/multi-rotors
s.matsuoka
Beginner

Crazyflie Bolt parts are damaged when trying to fly a DIY drone.

Post by s.matsuoka »

Hello.
I am making my own drone using Crazyflie Bolt. After turning on the power, I checked the propeller to the point where it spins, but after spinning it for a while, its parts break with a buzzer (it also emitted smoke). If you are familiar with this problem, please advise me the cause and countermeasures. (I think the cause is overcurrent.)
The relevant part is as shown in the attached image.
pic.png
Environment
Software used: Crazyflie 2.0 App(iPhone)
Battery: 2S, 1300mAh
Motor: F1103 KV8000 (T-motor)
ESC: AT 12A 3S (T-motor)
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie Bolt parts are damaged when trying to fly a DIY drone.

Post by tobias »

Yes, this is most likely caused by over current. I suggest you to use a PDB and not run the power though the Bolt on your setup.

With a hot air station it is possible to replace the mosfet. If you use a PDB you don't really need the mosfet, only the motor signal wire, the middle one.
s.matsuoka
Beginner

Post by s.matsuoka »

Thank you for your response.

If you don't mind, could you please tell me how to wire using PDB?

After that, I tried the way to power the ECS directly from the battery and use only the signal wire in the middle, but it didn't work, the motor spun a little and stopped.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Wire the battery to the PDB but also in parallel to the Bolt so that it can measure the voltage and power it. Wire the ESC signals from the bolt (middle wire) to the ESC and power the ESCs from the PDB.

Could it be that you held the drone up-side-down? That would trigger tumble detection and shut of the motors. Also the Bolt must pass the startup calibration to output the motor signals so make sure that it is on a stable surface after power up.