Drone Instability with Payload Attached

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
UNI_Student_Tyler
Beginner

Drone Instability with Payload Attached

Post by UNI_Student_Tyler »

Hello,

I am working on research at my university where we want to affix a rectangular payload weighing about 9 grams on top of a Crazyflie 2.1. Currently we center the payload over the battery. We have flowdeck v2 installed as well. When the payload is attached, about half of the drones become unstable within the first few seconds of flight and crash. When the payload is not attached, the drones tend to remain stable throughout the entire flight.

I have read that the Crazyflie 2.1 can accept payloads up to 15 grams. I was wondering if anyone here in the community might know why we are experiencing such instability when the payload is attached. Perhaps someone here has had a similar experience. Any ideas or suggestions to help the drone remain stable with the payload attached? Are there any recommended updates i.e. PID controls?

I really appreciate the community here and all those who take the time to read and respond! Thanks in advance! Tack så mycket!

-Tyler
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Drone Instability with Payload Attached

Post by tobias »

You could try re-tuning the PID parameters but there is a chance that the place of the load easier cause it to reach an unstable state, it starts to tip and has no chance of recovering. Any possibility to re-arrange the weight. Maybe put the battery underneath the CF2.1?
UNI_Student_Tyler
Beginner

Re: Drone Instability with Payload Attached

Post by UNI_Student_Tyler »

Thank you, Tobias. I really appreciate the response!

I will explore your suggestion of moving the placement of the battery to see how that improves stability.

When I was sharing this issue with my team, we realized that the magnets used to secure the payload could affect onboard components. To address this we are looking into different way to affix the payload to the crazyflie.

Thank you again for your assistance!