AI-deck GAP8 WiFi bootloader

Discussions about the AI-deck
marcus
Bitcraze

AI-deck GAP8 WiFi bootloader

Post by marcus »

Hi all!

We've been working a bit on the infrastructure for the AI-deck in order to make it a bit easier to use. One part of this work has been a GAP8 bootloader. The long term goal is to integrate this into the existing infrastructure of make cload and the python client deck updates. We're not there yet, but it currently possible to use the bootloader via WiFi.

So, if you're working with the GAP8 and want to give the WiFi bootloader a try here's what to do:

Firstly there's a need to update the crazyflie-firmware, which will be responsible for telling the ESP32 on the AI-deck to connect the WiFi. There's new options in the Kconfig that can be accessed in the Expansion deck configuration. Under the Support the AI-deck you can set up the mode you would like the WiFi in, I would suggest having it connecting to a WiFi network (instead of acting like an AP). Here you can also set the SSID/PASSWORD for the access point. Build and flash this.

Secondly you will need the updated version of the aideck-esp-firmware, there's instructions in the repository on how to build this.

Lastly you will need to flash the aideck-GAP8-bootloader on the GAP8.

Now it's possible to use the bootloader.py script for loading and executing a GAP8 binary over the WiFi, below is an example of how it's used with the new WiFi streaming example:

Code: Select all

docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/module/data/ bitcraze/aideck:4.8.0 /bin/bash -c 'source /gap_sdk/configs/ai_deck.sh; cd /module/data/;  make all' && python check-app-image.py BUILD/GAP8_V2/GCC_RISCV_FREERTOS/flash.img && python bootload.py -n 192.168.6.52 BUILD/GAP8_V2/GCC_RISCV_FREERTOS/flash.img
For more information on the bootloader.py and check-app-image.py have a look at the doc here.

If you give it a try, let me know how it goes!
noah2021
Beginner

Re: AI-deck GAP8 WiFi bootloader

Post by noah2021 »

Hi marcus, I tried to update the firmware using idf.py flash, but the connection was failed.
Executing action: flash
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB1
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____
/dev/ttyUSB1 failed to connect: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header
No serial ports found. Connect a device, or use '-p PORT' option to set a specific port.
I'm using a JTAG USB TINY H.
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: AI-deck GAP8 WiFi bootloader

Post by marcus »

Hi!

Unfortunately you cannot use idf.py for flashing, there's more information here on how to flash the ESP32 with JTAG.