Multiple Multiranger decks in a Staggered Configuration

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
shreeram
Beginner

Multiple Multiranger decks in a Staggered Configuration

Post by shreeram »

Hi everyone!

I currently have a STEM Ranging bundle comprised of a multiranger deck and a flow deck. I’m trying to have a setup where one can get 8 in-plane range measurements so that it can eliminate the diagonal blind spots, however, I have a few concerns:
  • Are 2 multiranger decks compatible with each other? Assuming I had pins long enough, would I be able to get the measurements of both these sensors (since it’s I2C)?
  • If (1) is possible, would it be compatible with the power requirements of the Crazyflie? The multiranger deck consumes 90 mA.
  • What can I do to have the 2 multiranger decks in a staggered configuration? I’m trying to have 1 of them tilted by 45 degrees so that I can get diagonal measurements.
Thanks!
jonasdn
Expert

Re: Multiple Multiranger decks in a Staggered Configuration

Post by jonasdn »

Hi shreeram!

So, this might be possible :) It is not something we have tried, I will attempt to answer your concerns!

Using two multiranger decks together is not compatible without some patching. The IO expander on the decks will have the same I2C address. You can fix this by patching the address pins on the deck. And then you would need to rewrite the deck driver in the firmware to read from all 8 sensors.

The I2C traffic might also be an issue, the multi-ranger is quite chatty on the bus.

The power consumption of two decks should be fine.

I think the only way to know if this works, is to try it! :)

Good luck!
shreeram
Beginner

Re: Multiple Multiranger decks in a Staggered Configuration

Post by shreeram »

I see. Thanks for the answer!