VCC gives 1.8v (was Battery doesn't appear to charge)

Post here to get support
omwdunkley
Expert

Re: VCC gives 1.8v (was Battery doesn't appear to charge)

Post by omwdunkley »

tobias wrote:Hmm, that is strange that the new regulator didn't work.
What sets the output voltage is the feedback programmed voltage since these are adjustable regulators. You can check that the feedback voltage is healthy by measuring it, which is pin 5. Be careful not to short against any of the other pins as you have to do this while the board is powered. The voltage on the feedback pin should be close to 1.22V.

Im only getting 0.8V there...
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

Sorry I forgot to reply - I'm getting .84v , And that's with the usb or battery powered.
I'm betting I could have possibly damaged the regulator while putting it on though, because I took so long to do it (and reapply solder :P )

I have a spare vreg to try it with now, but won't have time for a little bit - going to show it off at least partially working at software freedom day on the weekend.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Hopefully I will receive the pololu 5V step-up today and should be able to do some test.
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

tobias wrote:Hopefully I will receive the pololu 5V step-up today and should be able to do some test.
Awesome! Hope this leads to something!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I have been trying to replicate the problem for a while now but no luck. I don't know what that means but maybe it is a good idea if you could send me your broken Crazyflie omwdunkley?
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

tobias wrote:I have been trying to replicate the problem for a while now but no luck. I don't know what that means but maybe it is a good idea if you could send me your broken Crazyflie omwdunkley?
Sure! Pm me your address and ill have it in the mail this week. If you want I can also send along the step up and 2.4 tx.

Cheers!
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

Missed those last few posts, but if you had time to look at it, how did you go looking at omwdunkley's?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

It was most likely due to that omwdunkley had installed a mechanical switch between the CF and the 5v step-up causing voltage transients during on/off. After replacing the digital VREG and removing the switch everything worked fine here at least. Omwdunkley might have some more news.
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

Hey guys,
Ill post more info when I have it ;) My recent focus has been on trying to implement some visual odometry stuff :) Not flown a flie recently ;)
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

Hi all, been a while :) Take it omw has his sorted out.

From the irc channel (which is nice, you should all pop by there! #crazyflie on irc.freenode.net ) , Had a suggestion to make it easier for me to try putting a working regulator on it.

In short, along with all the third arms etc to hold the crazy flie in place, to use a tiny blob of glue to hold it in place. The glue would be in the middle, to connect pcb to hold the regulator down.

In short, just trying to think of ways to make it less painful and likely error prone for myself, due to the tiny scale when trying to put that part back on.