External power supply

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
trax2501
Beginner

External power supply

Post by trax2501 »

I am currently working on training a neural network to fly the CF2.1. Which means that I need to log a bunch of flying examples. Using the batteries doesn't cut it since I need to change them often. I want to power the CF externally with a power supply. Is it doable?
I've read that the VUSB could power the CF with 5V @ 500mA which gives 2.5W of power. I also read that the CF consumes 7W of power.
Is using the VUSB a good idea or should I try to use the battery connector?
If I use the battery connector, what are the specs (voltage, current, max power)?

Thank you
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: External power supply

Post by arnaud »

Do you want to power the Crazyflie while flying or just the electronics?

If you do not want to fly, USB power should be good enough to power the Crazyflie forever.

If you want to run the motors, you need some battery voltage. The maximum voltage the battery can be at is 4.1 V so as long as you stay bellow that and you do not connect the USB port at the same time (to not trigger the charger) you should be able to power the Crazyflie via the battery connector. The max current the Crazyflie can draw on the battery should be 4A (this is the current protection limit of the stock battery). The Crazyflie consumes about 8W when flying.

Flying with the Crazyflie attached to a cable will be a challenge though. We have tried doing it with very thin wires before but have never really succeded.
trax2501
Beginner

Re: External power supply

Post by trax2501 »

I want to power the Crazyflie while flying. I will use the battery port then.
As of right now, the crazyflie is mounted on an experimental setup where it's weight is supported so the weight of the wires shouldn't it.
Thank you very much for your help.