CrazyFlie connects to client, but does not communicate.

Post here to get support
DJFSU
Beginner

CrazyFlie connects to client, but does not communicate.

Post by DJFSU »

I just received my first CF2.1 drone, and went through the entire setup procedure with no difficulties until I try to use the VM client or the IOS app.

The client connects to the drone successfully through the CrazyRadio PA (able to update firmware, shows battery life) but the IMU is not outputting any values. Neither the virtual attitude indicator nor the plotting tab show any change in the stabilization system.

In addition, I tried using the IOS app to fly the drone with no success either. The drone connects to bluetooth successfully, but nothing happens when I try to control the drone.

The M1 LED flashes red slowly, and the motors beep/spin successfully when power is turned on.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to get this drone running, I haven't found any posts with the same issue. Thanks!
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: CrazyFlie connects to client, but does not communicate.

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

This looks like a problem with the sensor never calibrating. During the startup phase, the RED M1 LED should start to flash slowly and then accelerate (the best way to see both rate is to hold the Crazyflie in your hand while stating it, then put is still on a table, as soon as the Crazyflie is still the RED LED blinking should accelerate).

The faster blinking indicates that the sensors have been calibrated and that the Crazyflie is ready to fly. If the LED never accelerate for you it would explain that it does not fly and it might be that the Crazylfie is not static enough (it needs to be placed on a stable surface) or that the sensors have a problem.

If putting the Crazyflie on a stable surface is not enough, can you copy-paste here the content of the Console tab when connecting the Crazyflie. This might give us some clue as of what could be happening.
DJFSU
Beginner

Post by DJFSU »

Thanks for the quick reply!

The red M1 LED flashes at a constant rate of about 0.5 Hz and does not change even when placed on level ground. It seems like the IMU is not publishing any data at all for the system. I've updated the firmware, and I've also tried previous firmware releases with the same result.

Here is a copy of the console log:

Code: Select all

ash!
CFGBLK: v1, verification [OK]
DECK_CORE: 0 deck(s) found
IMU: BMI088: Using I2C interface.
IMU: BMI088 Gyro connection [OK].
IMU: BMI088 Accel connection [OK]
IMU: BMP388 I2C connection [OK]
ESTIMATOR: Using Complementary (1) estimator
CONTROLLER: Using PID (1) controller
MTR-DRV: Using brushed motor driver
SYS: About to run tests in system.c.
EEPROM: I2C connection [OK].
STORAGE: Storage check [OK].
IMU: BMI088 gyro self-test [OK]
SYS: Self test passed!
STAB: Wait for sensor calibration...
SYS: Free heap: 20560 bytes
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Do you have the possibility to try and increase the threshold as discussed in this thread? If you could also post a picture of the raw gyro measurement as in the linked thread that might tell us something.
DJFSU
Beginner

Post by DJFSU »

I would try to change the threshold, but the raw gyro measurements are nonexistent. This problem doesn't seem to be an inability to calibrate, it's an inability for the drone to get IMU readings at all.

As you can see, the stabilization values are flat-lined, not reading any sort of disturbance.
Screenshot from 2021-11-11 12-31-36.png
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

The stabilizer values are zero because the gyro has not taken its bias. Can you log the gyro.xVariance, y and z instead?
DJFSU
Beginner

Post by DJFSU »

Ahhh, I see now. Here is a picture of the variances before changing the threshold.
Screenshot from 2021-11-15 12-29-11.png
After changing the threshold and rebuilding the firmware, the drone finally started reading values for stabilization. Thank you for the help, I apologize for doubting you!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Glad it now works!

What threshold value did you set it to?

If you have time I would very much like to see the variance values when it does not manage to calibrate. In your graph they are fixed because the crazyflie managed to calibrate. Also they are below 10000, which is the default, so maybe you did not have a stable enough surface before?
gabirnje23
Beginner

Post by gabirnje23 »

Thank you very much, my friends, it worked for me after these procedures.canlı tv izle