Line tracking with obstacle avoidance

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
Barry
Beginner

Line tracking with obstacle avoidance

Post by Barry »

Hi all,

I am recently doing line tracking using the crazyflie bolt drone. I want to implement obstacle avoidance while performing line tracking.

When the drone met the obstacle, then it will avoid the obstacle and then go back to the line.

For obstacle avoidance, I used the multiranger deck. Could anyone give me some suggestions on how to implement obstacle avoidance during line tracking? I would appreciate that. Thanks!

Cheers!
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Line tracking with obstacle avoidance

Post by kimberly »

Potential field based obstacle avoidance perhaps?

Or turn the drone 90 degrees and do wall following until you see the line again.

Depended on how complex the obstacle is, you could also just move to the right if your front multi-ranger gets triggered, until the obstacle is gone (and you know for sure that you have moved enough so that the side of the quadcopter doesn't hit the obstacle.

There are multiple ways to solve your problem, some more robust than others. Since you are using a Bolt, I highly recommend you to tryout an simulator first, gazebo+ros based perhaps, to try out your obstacle avoidance state machine.
Barry
Beginner

Re: Line tracking with obstacle avoidance

Post by Barry »

kimberly wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:20 pm Potential field based obstacle avoidance perhaps?

Or turn the drone 90 degrees and do wall following until you see the line again.

Depended on how complex the obstacle is, you could also just move to the right if your front multi-ranger gets triggered, until the obstacle is gone (and you know for sure that you have moved enough so that the side of the quadcopter doesn't hit the obstacle.

There are multiple ways to solve your problem, some more robust than others. Since you are using a Bolt, I highly recommend you to tryout an simulator first, gazebo+ros based perhaps, to try out your obstacle avoidance state machine.
Thanks, kimberly, thank you for your suggestion. I will try the wall following strategy.