New to CrazyFlie Need Swarm Help

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
undays
Beginner

New to CrazyFlie Need Swarm Help

Post by undays »

Hello,

I am a new user working with the CrazyFlie 2.0 and I currently am trying to make two drones be able to fly together. I also have two CrazyRadio dongles that can be used to send information to these drones and managed to successfully change their address and specific channel to ensure there is no chatter between the channels.

I think however that only one of my CrazyRadios is being used despite both being recognzied as "connected" in the Bitcraze VM. Is there a tutorial or manner I have to perform to have the second radio be acknowledged as another dongle to send information to a drone.

What I am trying to do is 1 drone per radio.

The current settings I have the drone to are

URI1 = 'radio://0/81/2M/E7E7E7E701'
URI2 = 'radio://1/85/2M/E7E7E7E702'

and running the swarmSequence.py (in crazyflie-lib-python/examples/swarm/) I get acknowledgement that for one drone it successfully downloaded the parameters but for the next drone it does not work. I am not sure if the VM automatically recognizes that radio://0/ and radio://1/ are already two different radios.

Essentially, is there a way I can define each radio to indivdually connect to a specific CrazyFlie and how so.

Thank you very much for your guidance and patience!
jonasdn
Expert

Re: New to CrazyFlie Need Swarm Help

Post by jonasdn »

Hi undays!

Welcome to the community! Lets try to see if we can figure this out!

First, our general recommendation is that one CrazyRadio can support up to three drones at once, so for flying two CrazyFlies one radio dongle should be enough, But, using two should also work just fine.

What makes you think that only one the radio dongels are being used? Could you perhaps paste the output of swarmSequence.py?

To get some kind of idea of the baseline here, could you perhaps try the basiclog example in the lib? (crazyflie-lib-python/examples/logging/basiclog.py) and change the URI to first radio 0 and then radio 1, to make sure bot can get logging information from the quads.

Thanks
Jonas
traffens
Beginner

Post by traffens »

The forum rules consistently block our team from pasting the code. It's in the pastebin below.

https://pastebin.com/s3BEYs4Z
undays
Beginner

Post by undays »

There is also an issue where I am trying to run the swarmSequenceCircle script or any script in general and the CrazyFlie does not seem to take off, but after a few reboots it manages to execute it just fine...just really variable and unstable with the amount of times it is able to take off. Is there a reason why this is the case?
jonasdn
Expert

Post by jonasdn »

Hi!

It hard to know without knowing more.

What positioning system are you using?
Could there be conflict with a wifi router nearby on a similar channel?

Jonas