Autonomous display

Discussions about autonomous flight in general, regardless of positioning method
theshane9
Beginner

Autonomous display

Post by theshane9 »

Hi,

My end goals are:

- Have a swarm of around 20 Crazyflies using the Lighthouse swarm system, that I can code for bespoke light show displays inside buildings. (Not sure if you can add more than 10 Crazyflies as the swarm in the store has 10 Crazyflies. I know the Loco swarm can have many Crazyflies but it is currently out of my price range for purchasing two sets)

- The swarm can be placed in position and then run the programmed light show autonomously.

- Efficiently build code with a fast turn around time for new projects.

Is this realistically possible?
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Autonomous display

Post by kimberly »

Hi!

- Yes, you can fly more than 10 crazyflies. The crazyswarm project has used up to 49 crazyflies. The lighthouse can also handle more than 20 as all the crazyflies compute their position all onboard, as long as there is visual line of sight with at at least one LH basestation.

- Yes, you can use the crazyswarm project for that or check out this blogpost for an python library example. There are multiple ways to Rome here, it just needs some manual work.

- Not sure what you are exactly looking for the efficiency, but if you know python and c, developing on the crazyflie goes quickly. On our fun fridays, we usually think of an idea in the morning and have it flying in the afternoon, but that is usually with just one crazyflie. With swarms you should perhaps look at more of a few days if you know the system inside and out.

So yes, a lot is possible with these as the crazyflies are a development platform. All firmware and software are opensource so with a bit of elbow grease and coding you can achieve a lot :D and ofcourse use this forum or the github repos for any help necessary.