Mellinger and PID controllers

Discussions about quadcopters/multi-rotors
fede_tiberti
Beginner

Mellinger and PID controllers

Post by fede_tiberti »

Hi, I have a crazyflie 2.0 with the flow deck 2.0... I would like to compare the two controllers with a simple script. Is it possible?
I know that the problem with the Mellinger could be the position, but can I manage it in some ways?

I have already installed the latest firmware version (2021.03)

Thanks ;)
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Re: Mellinger and PID controllers

Post by kristoffer »

You can change controller using the stabilizer.controller parameter
The available types are defined in https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-f ... .h#L31-L37

PID = 1
Mellinger = 2
INDI = 3

You can find an example of how to set the parameter from python here https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-l ... el.py#L147
fede_tiberti
Beginner

Post by fede_tiberti »

Yes, I knew this.. maybe I didn't ask the right question, sorry.
The question is: Can I use different controllers, besides the PID, with only the flow deck 2? If yes, how can I do?

Does the Mellinger could have problems with the position? Unfortunately I don't have a positioning system, like mocap or LPS.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

Ah, I see. The mellinger is more sensitive to errors in the position estimate and it is mainly useful with a good mocap system. I do not know a lot about the INDI controller, but I don't think it works without some tweaking.

I think the PID controller is the best option for the flow deck, it is robust and forgiving.

I have not tried a flow deck and the mellinger controller my self, but you can try to switch to the mellinger and see what happens. In worst case you will crash :-)
fede_tiberti
Beginner

Post by fede_tiberti »

I've already done several attempts.
Using the client, I'm able to takeoff with the Mellinger controller. I set '2' on the parameter stabilizer.controller and then I click "Take off" from the "Command Based Flight Control" window. No problem, it works very well. Also to land of course.

But when I execute the script, with the Mellinger, it does not work. Probably I'm not using the right class.
Which library does the client use to execute the commands?
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

As mentioned before, the mellinger controller requires very good position estimation and the flow deck is probably not good enough.

I did a quick test my self with the autonmouse_sequence_high_level.py script, it contains a line that is commented out that switches to the mellinger. I did see the same problem and I could not complete a full figure 8 with the mellinger + flow.

I also tried with the client and switched to the mellinger controller using the param tab and used the Command based flight control buttons. It actually worked surprisingly well but was a bit shaky from time to time. I tested on the 2021.03 release.
Note: there is a known bug with the flow deck that makes the CF move backwards 1.5 m after take off when clicking one of the arrow buttons (https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-f ... issues/760)
fede_tiberti
Beginner

Post by fede_tiberti »

Thanks, but I don't understand which class the client uses.
Do your autonmouse_sequence_high_level.py script and the client use the same library? If yes, which?

Because I would try the library that the client uses (when I click takeoff) with a script, but the problem is that I don't know which class the client uses.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

Ah, I see. The client uses the PositionHlCommander, you can find it here https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-c ... ab.py#L436
TallyFeli
Beginner

Post by TallyFeli »

Hi....I absolutely need to ensure assuming that you have approved your control design as we are attempting to execute it in Simulink to tune the regulator in a reproduction… Are there different issues than the IP+D issues in the position and demeanor circles?
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

@TallyFeli,

This thread has concluded a pretty long time ago, so if you still have any questions or concerns I highly recommend for you to start a new thread and also provide more information about your situation.