Android client with basic support for PS3 controller

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
SuperRoach

Re: Android client with basic support for PS3 controller

Post by SuperRoach »

Thanks for the Astro Tip!, and also for the version Derf!

Come to think of it, I had run into the same problem (cannot open file) on the SGS2 as well in the past.
That version loads up great, I havn't had time to actually connect it yet. I'll do it tonight.

*edit*
It works fantastic! I don't have a Y connector, so I can't plug in the PS3 Controller in at the same time as the Transmitter.
In a way it's a mixed blessing, as it's one less part I'll need to take along with me.
Michael
Beginner

Post by Michael »

@derf

perfect. It works. Now I can be much more aggressive flying. I think the people near me need a protective suit and a helmet. ;) ;)
think you've changed any other things too ? nice work.

Regards

Michael
fizzlor
Beginner

Post by fizzlor »

derf wrote:Hi all,
If you have an Android phone/table with root access it's possible to use the Sixpair app and connect the PS3 controller via bluetooth.
I'll provide a special APK in the next days for that (right now I'm only checking if the PS3 controller is connected via USB).
Fred
Hey, first of all thanks for this great app!
So far it works great for me, although I am not the biggest fan of onscreen gamepads.
Therefore I have been playing around with the sixaxis app to connect the playstation controller via Bluetooth. But so far it does not seem that the app is receiving any commands. Is this because this functionality has not been integrated into the app yet?
Regards
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

@fizzlor
The functionality is already integrated.
Once the PS3 controller is paired and connected, switch to the Crazyflie app and move the analog sticks.
A message saying "Using external controller" should appear and you should be good to go.
What kind of Android device are you using?
Michael
Beginner

Post by Michael »

@fizzlor
I've had a similar behavior with the sixaxis controller. The reason was only to activate the sixaxis as gamepad.
...here a little hint : in the sixaxis app go to preferences, gamepad settings and activate the checkbox 'Enable Gamepad'
I know that is actually to simple, but somtimes.... ;)

Regards Michael
fizzlor
Beginner

Post by fizzlor »

Michael wrote:@fizzlor
I've had a similar behavior with the sixaxis controller. The reason was only to activate the sixaxis as gamepad.
...here a little hint : in the sixaxis app go to preferences, gamepad settings and activate the checkbox 'Enable Gamepad'
I know that is actually to simple, but somtimes.... ;)

Regards Michael
... you miss the most obvious; )
Thanks a lot, ill try it out right when i am back home.
Regards
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

Sounds great, I'll have a go of it when ready too.

You may like these sample photos of your application in action by the way.
http://i.imgur.com/cvbNnqm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EbXCUu6.png (your app is the controller in the image)
wtsang02
Beginner

Post by wtsang02 »

Hi,
I would like the thank you guys for this awesome app that you guys have made. I would like to ask a few questions:

1)Why isn't there a consistent coding style?
e.g. members and variable names have different styles, preference keys some have '_bool' denoted that its a boolean but some don't.

2)What does 'mode' do?

3)Can I create an application based on this application? It will also be open source, non profit.
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

Hi,
1)Why isn't there a consistent coding style?
e.g. members and variable names have different styles, preference keys some have '_bool' denoted that its a boolean but some don't.
There is actually no real excuse except for lack of time and lazyness. I'll try to fix it soon, but pull requests/patches would be greatly appreciated in the meantime. ;)
2)What does 'mode' do?
Mode refers to the "control-style", as in "how are the different axes (yaw, roll, pitch, thrust) mapped to your joystick axes",
Here is a link to a graphic that explains it pretty nicely: http://www.geekmag.fr/quadricoptere-fon ... lotage-rc/
(And yes, this should be better documented in the code...)
3)Can I create an application based on this application? It will also be open source, non profit.
I guess as long as you respect the license, you are free to create your own application....but I'd like to invite you to help improve (e.g. with suggestions/bug reports/patches/pull requests)
the existing Android app instead to minimize re-inventing wheels, duplicate code and confusing users which app to use.

Regards,

Fred
wtsang02
Beginner

Post by wtsang02 »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Due to objectives being different, I would have to create a new application. But I would follow closely on the current application.
Once again, good job for the great work.