[Hover Mode] Testing and setting Parameters

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
molecular
Beginner

Re: [Hover Mode] Testing and setting Parameters

Post by molecular »

mrb0y wrote:I'm in the same boat as every one else as far as I can tell. I cloned the repositories for the phiamo client and firmware and then built the firmware and uploaded to CF. I then run the client and set the hover mode button in the controller mapping. I goto fly the CF and there is no indication that I have entered into hover mode on the client. The CF does not look to be "hovering" and also there is no debug mode showing in the parameters tab?
ran into this, too. solution is to checkout the correct branch (bitbucked url doesn't include branch name, check available branches with "hg branches" command). Branches are called "hover_mode" for the client and "hover_mode_pid" for the firmware. You can checkout branch with "hg checkout <branchname>".

I haven't gotten good results so far and here are some questions / reports:

What does the "hover" control actually do? I had to sacrifice my yaw control to even assign it and it doesn't seem to change anything.

A lot of time when I start hoover mode (be it in mid air or from ground with throttle 0), cf goes to the ceiling pretty quickly. Sometimes it just spins at very low throttle (3000-5000) when starting hover-mode from ground.

I've had some success, too, though: managed to remain in hover-mode for about 20 seconds or so at one time... it happened really close to the ground.
omwdunkley
Expert

Re: [Hover Mode] Testing and setting Parameters

Post by omwdunkley »

Hey guys,
a while back I got some basic sort of hover mode working, but didnt share the code because it was (and still is) rather experimental and ugly. I wanted to redo it properly as it has lots of "magic numbers", redundant experimental leftovers, etc.

However I never got around to doing that so I thought I would just upload the code as-is without any guarantee that it works, etc. Its in its early stages and I wont really continue to maintain it much. The brave ones of you can try it out:)
Maybe some of the ms5611.c/.h code of the fork below would help this (probably cleaner) approach.

Post/Code/instructions/video: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=523