Raspberry ground station delay

Post here to get support
xzentorzx
Beginner

Raspberry ground station delay

Post by xzentorzx »

Hey guys.

I've been trying to set up a raspberry ground station for my copter. After installing the headless client on a fairly clean raspian install I tried to take a flight. Unfortunately there is a HUGE lag between input and execution on the copter. It's roughly 2 seconds before my thrust input arrives and flying is impossible like this for me.

My question is... Has anyone had similar issues yet? Am I the only one? DId I do something wrong?

Any answers are appreciated :)

Greetz,
Xzen
foosel
Expert

Re: Raspberry ground station delay

Post by foosel »

I only had problems like this when using not the headless but the regular UI based client. But when doing so the CF indeed was completely unsteerable.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
Beginner

Post by 863456346 »

I can't really say for sure, but the control with the pi doesn't feel as snappy as with the Windows client.

Is there a way to debug the time the commands take before they arrive at the pi, I'd like to see how the pi compares to the pc client. Maybe we can figure out the source for the delay. I'm almost certain there is more delay, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

The cfclient GUI application will not work very well but the cfheadless (that is available on the dev-headless branch in the Bitbucket repo) should work better. Currently there's no way to measure in the code but it would be possible to use a Python profiler to have a look (there are some here).
Beginner

Post by 863456346 »

I followed the description on the wiki =headless]here, so I guess this already is the headless client, right? Like I said, it's nowhere near 2 seconds, closer to a couple hundred ms, enough to notice and be irritated by it.

Thanks for the link.
timsson
Beginner

Post by timsson »

for me, it works good - no delay - but how can i integrate hover_mode?
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

timsson wrote:for me, it works good - no delay - but how can i integrate hover_mode?
You'll have to merge the crazyflie pc client with hover support with the cf headless branch from the bitcraze repository.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107