General question - which game controller do you use?

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
LittleGreyCat
Beginner

General question - which game controller do you use?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I'm looking at Game Controllers at the moment and there seems to be a lot of divided opinion on various fora. The Bitcraze favourite seems to be a PS3 or compatible. This is where I am at the moment.

My Android devices - Sony Xperia Z tablet and Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.
My PC devices - Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and Raspberry Pi (oh, and Linux Mint). No CarazyRadio yet, though.

From what I have read so far:
PCs - XBox 360 has native support. PS3 requires additional software. I don't know if this is still the case.
Android - PS3 support built in, Xbox 360 perhaps not.

Assume for the moment I go for a PS3 (or compatible controller).
I can buy a cheap one for about £7.50 UKP; are the cheap controllers O.K.?
Should I be looking at a standard PS3 game pad layout or would a joystick be a better option for flying?

So the question is, which game controller do YOU use (and why)?

(1) For PC
(2) For Android?

Thanks.
LGC
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: General question - which game controller do you use?

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

I can answer for (1) since I mostly fly from the PC and I use the touchscreen when I ocasionally fly with the phone.
- XBox 360 for windows and ROS: supported out of the box on Windows, and this is what Wolfgang uses so the ROS layout is already mapped for it. Not too bad Joysticks.
- PS3 otherwise (flying on linux): the REAL PS3 gamepad is the best we have found so far for the joysticks linearity and range.
- I can add PS4: Worse linearity than the PS3 gamepad but still OK and it works on Windows/linux/mac and can be paired via Bluetooth without using hacks.

I would avoid compatible gamepad as they usually have very bad linearity on the gamepad: I am thinking of the logitech F310 for example that should be perfect because it is both standard controller (for linux/android) and an Xinput controller, however its gamepads have very bad linearity which makes the thrust very hard to control!

Thanks for starting this thread, I am also very interested if someone has found good Gamepad to use with the Crazyflie.
mehmetyldz87
Beginner

Re: General question - which game controller do you use?

Post by mehmetyldz87 »

I use Logitech F710 Wireless Gamepad -> https://www.logitechg.com/tr-tr/product ... ss-gamepad