PC-free for Crazyflie 2.0

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
chad
Expert

Re: PC-free for Crazyflie 2.0

Post by chad »

tobias wrote:The changes are now pushed to our fork on bitbucket. I have also uploaded the binary/filesystem that can be uploaded and used straight away based on v4.0.1.
Awesome! Thanks for this Tobias. I have a Devo7e on the way and an nRF24L01 chip too. It'll be cool to use those. I'm still hoping someone can do the work for ESky though (since my brain is far to small for such projects) since my ESky only works with my CF1 now and I've gotten used to it and want it to work with CF2. ;)
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
RomanG
Beginner

Post by RomanG »

Hi everyone,

i didn't got my CF2 by now :-( (cant wait until I can Fly :-)), but allready looking for some possibilites to fly it without the need of a PC (I dont have my Laptop with me all the time (planing to that with the CF2 ;-))).
So my question is:
As far as i see, you are trying to hack in some other systems (according to the post from tobias on March 19th), why that??
I mean: what does a RC transmitter need:
1) Sensors for the axis (actualy just potentiometers we can take those from an old RC Transmitter)
2) Some switches also from an old RC Transmitter
3) Communication part (Receiver (CF) allready done woudnt it be possible to just build the Transmitter the same way ?
4) CPU we could also use the f405 (even though it is an overkill)
5) Accu (electronics allready working on CF why not just copy it)

so why not just build a board where one can attach the switches and potentiometers? this way one can use an old rc transmitter pack the board in it and one is ready to fly!
Further more everyone can choose on what he wants to fly as you could even take an old gamepad or playstation/xbox controller for the task. Wouldnt that be great?

greetings from switzerland
Roman
KaR]V[aN
Beginner

Post by KaR]V[aN »

I also purchased a devo 7e and the nRF24L01+PA+LNA the moment I read is supported :)

Got My CF1 when came out and now I fly the CF2 I got in christmas. I'm thinking about adding a 1g camera and 2g transmitter:

http://www.ladroneshop.com/fr/cameras-f ... al-1g.html

http://www.ladroneshop.com/fr/emetteurs ... 0-100.html

I was wondering about if it was possible to input the camera output into the STM32F405, make the video overlay and add there the OSD with horizon, battery, etc and then output the video to the transmitter.
My electronics blog: http://karman.cc
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I was wondering about if it was possible to input the camera output into the STM32F405, make the video overlay and add there the OSD with horizon, battery, etc and then output the video to the transmitter.
No not that way as the video is analog (to get low latency) and the radio bandwidth is not big enough to carry any higher resolution video. What you could do though is to overlay it on the PC side similar to what Oliver did. It will require a lot of work though. I know Oliver did a video tab for the cfclient which can be a start.
KaR]V[aN
Beginner

Post by KaR]V[aN »

tobias wrote:
No not that way as the video is analog (to get low latency) and the radio bandwidth is not big enough to carry any higher resolution video. What you could do though is to overlay it on the PC side similar to what Oliver did. It will require a lot of work though. I know Oliver did a video tab for the cfclient which can be a start.
You misunderstood me. I wasnt saying to use the internal radio, I already know there's not enougt bandwith for that.

I was saying to input the camera signal into CF2, do the overlay in CF2, then output the result into a 1gr 5.8Ghz transmitter.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

That is an interesting idea. I have not done any research about it but it might be possible. You would have to make a circuit that can manipulate the composite video signal which might be possible.
KaR]V[aN
Beginner

Post by KaR]V[aN »

Hey there!

Just wanting to post some feedback about Devo7e.

I already had a couple of walkera RTF copters (Ready To Fly copters have a transmiter in the box so they are usually expensive) so hacking the Devo7e with deviationTX has been wonderful as now I have a fully programable radio that works with all my copters including a Blade Nano CP X.

Unfortunally the nRF24L01 took too much time to arrive (I ordered 25 April) and it came today so I just mounted it and now after reflashing with the firmware that tobias forked it works like a charm with the CF2 :)

I choose a model with ceramic antenna so I don't have to deal with more parts than necessary.

If anyone here is also flying anything more than CF I highly recommend the Devo7e as is pretty cheap and with the DeviationTX firmware there are no barriers.

Regards!
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

KaR]V[aN wrote:so hacking the Devo7e with deviationTX has been wonderful as now I have a fully programable radio
Very nice! Great looking hardware hack too!

Hows that nRF24L01 with the ceramic antenna working for you? I got one with the wire antenna and I'm not sure that I can pack both of the wires (from the original CYRF6936) into the antenna aerial without an issue. The nRF24L01 you got is the power-amplified (PA) version? How has the transmission been for you?

Do you have a link where you got yours, I don't want to roll the dice with a web search.

I still haven't hacked my Devo yet. I'm just about to move into a new home later this month and once I get settled into my new workshop (mad scientist lab in the basement), it's the first project I'm working on.

Thanks for any info you have!!
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
KaR]V[aN
Beginner

Post by KaR]V[aN »

Hey chad,

Indeed, mine is PA+LNA so is supposed to work about 1km range at 256kb/s with CF2 but I haven't tested (also CF are both so small that I wouldn't see them).

So far I haven't got any problems with distance or signal problems, works like a charm.

I digged ebay when looking for mine. Just like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-NRF24L01-P ... 4d36212f03

I've now bought all the things to make mi CF2 a FPV, will keep you posted :)

Regards
staniles
Beginner

Post by staniles »

Hello crazyfliers !

I've mounted my nrf24l01+pa+lna on my Devo7e today (with DeviationTX nightly build also installed), in order to fly my CF1 without my PC.

When I turn on my CF1 and my TX, the green led turns on on the CF1, which means that a connection is definitely done (ans that my hardware is working right?)
However, nothing reacts when I push thrust (or any stick on my TX).
Remembering the blog post of the team, I went through the firmware code in order to remove the thrust lock. I've tried everything, even by putting "thrustlocked=false" everywhere in the commander.c code, but after flashing the new firmware, still nothing. No reaction.
My TX seems properly configured, but I don't know yet where this problem comes from. Any idea what I'm missing ?

Thanks !

PS : I didn't use the deviation code that was linked here. I suppose that, by just removing the lock in the commander.c, it would be enough at least for the CF1 to have its motors to rotate !