CrazyRadio updated but remains on bootloader status

Post here to get support
maxgeppi
Beginner

CrazyRadio updated but remains on bootloader status

Post by maxgeppi »

Hello everyone

I've updated my crazyradio (0,52) with a new firmware (0,53) but now i can't see "CrazyRadio Dongle" again
because reamin in bootloader configuration. I don't know why.

In the bootloader switcher python modules i see that the method to command arm bootloader is

#Send the command to arm the bootloader
handle.controlMsg(0x40, 0xFF, (), value=0, index=0, timeout=100)

but i'am not found the command to disarm from bootloader status.

any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Max
whoenig
Expert

Re: CrazyRadio updated but remains on bootloader status

Post by whoenig »

You will need to unplug the dongle and plug it in again. Make sure that you only do that after the verification of the flashing succeeded, otherwise you might need an SPI programmer to revive the radio.
maxgeppi
Beginner

Post by maxgeppi »

Thank you for your reply

I fear that My Radio is unsable because now windows say me that crazyradio is unknown.
What kind of ISP you suggest me to revive my CrazyRadio?

If is possible an isp that is simple to use.
Ramain to understand why my python procedure to deploy the crazyradio binary have failed.

I will look into this fact only after recovering my dongle.

Max
whoenig
Expert

Post by whoenig »

Sorry to hear that:-(

Basically there are two official ways of doing the SPI programming: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:crazy ... rogramming. One is based on a JTAG adapter (which you could also use to debug the STM32 and NRF51), the other one on a BusPirate (allows you to access various buses from your PC). I believe both might be around 30$. I never tried it myself, so please keep us posted on how it goes!
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

Flashing the Crazyradio requires SPI. The program I am using is using an FTDI jtag adapter, I started with jtag-key but now I am working with a bus blaster. If you are interested in Crazyradio development this is what I would suggest as it can flash it in seconds.

The bus pirate work as well but is extremely slow so it is only good as a failsafe solution.

It is physically possible to program Crazyradio from Crazyflie 2 (by making a simple adapter using, for example, the Crazyflie 2.0 breakout deck). If there is interest in Crazyradio development I can look at it but I need beta testers ;-).

Arnaud
maxgeppi
Beginner

Post by maxgeppi »

Hi,

I've bought a "bus pirate v4", and a "bus blaster v4"
i'am trying to recovery my "crazyradio" starting from the suggested methods in "https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:crazy ... rogramming"
but i'am could not to revive my dongle.

The questions are:
1) Crazyradio must be connected to bus pirate without using USB, correct? only 3.3v is used.
2) During flasher.pl debugging I always receive "ff" when i try to read from buspirate after "Enabling programming..." step.
and then "erasing while" never ending. May i test in another way if my dongle is right connected and usable.
3) Where i can find the instructions to program my dongle using bus blaster instead?

I know what you're thinking, you could to buy a new crazyradio instead buy a bluster and a pirate pcb.
Maybe, but I would check if the crazyradio is truly customizable.

Thanks in advance
M.