Crazyflie 2.0 stunt video

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
nimble
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.0 stunt video

Post by nimble »

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd upload a short montage of my attempts to learn how to flip the Crazyflie 2.0 - plus it's a chance to show off the Crazyflie's abilities to handle outdoor flying in the wind.
Recorded on an iPhone 6 Plus in 240FPS mode.

http://youtu.be/LZ3OqjLLQtU

I'm using a stock Crazyflie 2.0, the motors have done about 2 hours flight time, so probably due for replacement (you really start to notice lack of response as they wear down).
My controller is the CrazyRadio PA, driven by a home-brewed microcontroller rocking a 400Mhz ARM with 256MB RAM, PS4 DualShock4 connected via USB, and a 2000MAh Lipo - the whole thing velcros nicely under the PS4 controller.

Enjoy!
nimble
Beginner

Re: Crazyflie 2.0 stunt video

Post by nimble »

And finally, a successful flip!

http://youtu.be/whDXrx-nuiM

Landing was a bit rough... but baby steps.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

The stunt video is great!! You're an amazing pilot. This intrigued me the most though:
nimble wrote:My controller is the CrazyRadio PA, driven by a home-brewed microcontroller rocking a 400Mhz ARM with 256MB RAM, PS4 DualShock4 connected via USB, and a 2000MAh Lipo - the whole thing velcros nicely under the PS4 controller.
That controller sounds ultra-cool. Any chance of a parts-list, firmware source, or step-by-step? I'd love to make one (even though I've only got a PS3 controller).
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
idreams
Beginner

Post by idreams »

chad wrote:The stunt video is great!! You're an amazing pilot. This intrigued me the most though:
nimble wrote:My controller is the CrazyRadio PA, driven by a home-brewed microcontroller rocking a 400Mhz ARM with 256MB RAM, PS4 DualShock4 connected via USB, and a 2000MAh Lipo - the whole thing velcros nicely under the PS4 controller.
That controller sounds ultra-cool. Any chance of a parts-list, firmware source, or step-by-step? I'd love to make one (even though I've only got a PS3 controller).
It is amazing, Thanks nimble.
As my dear friend chad, I have the same question.
Crazyflie 2.0 + Crazyradio PA + Debug Adapter and LED Deck.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

That is just awesome, you are indeed a great pilot!

Are you flying it in rate mode? I'm also very interested in your nice home-brewed controller!
nimble
Beginner

Post by nimble »

Hi,

I'm flying in the default advanced mode (attitude). The trick is getting the quad to pitch enough under speed, then pitch back the other way and fully throttle down. That will put the quad into a flip, at which time you can apply thrust again to recover.

The controller I've built is slowly getting to release quality - I'll publish some specs then.
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

nimble wrote:The controller I've built is slowly getting to release quality - I'll publish some specs then.
Cool!!! I'm looking forward to that.
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.
nimble
Beginner

Post by nimble »

Got a perfect flip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIE0boTxn-c

The real trick seems to be not the flip, but getting out of the prop-wash afterwards...
poizone

Post by poizone »

Now learn them vertically instead of horizontally. I'm excited to learn some acrobatics with mine like this.
One day our flies will drown out the sun in an autonomous Skynet of whirring motors and blinking lights.