CF2: Which console is easier to fly with Phone or PS2

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
lxrocks

CF2: Which console is easier to fly with Phone or PS2

Post by lxrocks »

Help advise a Newby to flying.

I have never used a PS2 console before or joystick for that matter. So I am trying the IOS crazyflie control and I am not having much success. Dragging my thumbs around feels like there is some latency and not intuitive to me. Bear in mind I am not very co-ordinated :)

So would you recommend I get a PS2 console to use for flying - would it be easier for a beginner?

Are there any 'Training Wheel' rigs out there, I was thinking trying to build some form of flexible rod on runners I can mount the CF2 on it and can practise flying. Without crashing into walls etc I can't believe someone has not already built something like that already :)
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: CF2: Which console is easier to fly with Phone or PS2

Post by tobias »

tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Personally I think it is a lot easier to fly with a gamepad as you get direct mechanical feedback. I prefer the PS3 or PS4 controller but xbox controller also work well (xbox contoller is easier to setup on windows). The cheaper gamepads often have less resolution and isn't as easy to fly with.
lxrocks

Post by lxrocks »

Hi Tobias,
Thanks for the advice - I will have to get myself a game console and the Hubsan 'trainer wheels' :)

Have a great xmas
thanks
chad
Expert

Post by chad »

I picked up one of those Hubsan blade guards. It makes the Crazyflie a little more "stable" and less maneuverable. I put "stable" in quotes because it is a relative term. I find the stock CF2 quite stable but putting on the guard makes it less agile which then makes it seem more stable.

In any case, with the guard on, I find it much easier to fly with the iPhone client. Indeed I can keep it up and dashing around without a crash for the duration of the battery life. The guard makes the propellers a bit noisier than without and I'm not a fan of the way it "mounts" on the motors. But, I ran it into my 18 month old's head earlier today and she didn't seem to care so it's worth the $3USD I paid for it. ;-)
Crazyflier - my CF journal...
4x Crazyflie Nano (1.0) 10-DOF + NeoPixel Ring mod.
3x Crazyflie 2.0 + Qi Charger and LED Decks.
Raspberry Pi Ground Control.
Mac OS X Dev Environment.
Walkera Devo7e, ESky ET6I, PS3 and iOS Controllers.