Crazyflie 2.0 Bluetooth issue

Post here to get support
Pappy
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.0 Bluetooth issue

Post by Pappy »

I've got the red "heart beat" led blinking and all start up checks go as expect but I can not find the crazyflie in available bluetooth devices(using a Galaxy s4). I do not have a crazyradio(backorder at seedstudio) so bluetooth is my only option at this point. I performed the dfu update and I received the Ok after running the script in windows. Am I missing something?

Thanks
derf
Expert

Re: Crazyflie 2.0 Bluetooth issue

Post by derf »

Hi,

I actually haven't bothered to look at the list of available Bluetooth devices, so I don't know if it even shows up (will double check tonight),
but you don't have to pair the Crazyflie 2.0 like other Bluetooth devices.

It's not really obvious (and I will add something to the Wiki soon), but here is how you connect the Crazyflie 2.0 over Bluetooth on Android:
1. Click on the "connect/disconnect" button (little circle button with two arrows pointing up and down)
2. If no Crazyradio is connected, the app will automatically try to connect using Bluetooth
3. If Bluetooth is not switched on yet, the app will request to switch it on
4. If Bluetooth is switched on and the connection to the Crazyflie 2.0 is established, the "connect/disconnect" button should have a blue background, a pop-up (toast) should say "Connected" and the green connection LED on the Crazyflie 2.0 should be rapidly blinking
5. Click on the "connect/disconnect" button to disconnect

If that does not help, you could try out nRF Master Control Panel (BLE) to check if BLE is working.

Regards
Pappy
Beginner

Post by Pappy »

Thanks a lot for the reply, that clears some things up. However, the app says, "cannot connect: crazyradio not attached and bluetooth le not available". I used nrf master control panel you suggested and am able to see the crazyflie in the available devices and to bond with it but am not able to connect to it with the method you suggested above.

Also, if I turn off my bluetooth, the client app doesn't request to turn on the bluetooth on as you have suggested earlier.

Thanks
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

Ok. Unfortunately I don't have a Galaxy S4 to reproduce your issue, but I will try to get my hands on one.
We will also need to implement more debug code/logging to see what's going on in case of errors, especially with Bluetooth.

If possible, please try to use a different device to see if it's a problem specific to your Galaxy S4.
idreams
Beginner

Post by idreams »

Hi
Android version is your phone(Galaxy s4) ?
Crazyflie 2.0 + Crazyradio PA + Debug Adapter and LED Deck.
Pappy
Beginner

Post by Pappy »

Android version 4.3
idreams
Beginner

Post by idreams »

Pappy wrote:Android version 4.3
Thanks.
That's correct, BLE is only available starting with Android 4.3+
Crazyflie 2.0 + Crazyradio PA + Debug Adapter and LED Deck.
Pappy
Beginner

Post by Pappy »

Just upgraded my device to 4.4.2 and now it can control my btle(it asked to turn in Bluetooth in app) but when it goes to connect it displays a message after thirty or so seconds saying connection lost
Pappy
Beginner

Post by Pappy »

Got it, the upgrade to 4.4.2 seemed to do it. The only other thing was the nrf master control panel was bonded to the flie so the client software didn't have access to it. I deleted the binding information in the master control app and now I'm flying. Thanks everyone
derf
Expert

Post by derf »

Thanks for reporting back.
Good to hear that it works for you now!

I've added the information to the Android device compatibility matrix here:
http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyf ... patibility