[SOLVED] Hang-up while booting the Bitcraze VM 0.5

Post here to get support
alex
Expert

[SOLVED] Hang-up while booting the Bitcraze VM 0.5

Post by alex »

Good morning,

I downloaded the VM 0.5 yesterday and imported it into VMware Player. After starting the VM, the Ubuntu boot screen shows up for some seconds - everything seems fine. But then the boot screen disappears and a black screen with a mouse cursor comes up - and that's it. Even after half an hour nothing else happens. At first the harddisk activity indicator of VMware Player is flashing but stops after a while.

I didn't alter the standard settings of the Bitcraze VM, but I noticed that the OS type setting is set to "Ubuntu 64-bit". But changing that to just "Ubuntu" doesn't help.

Can anybody reproduce this behaviour and help me to track down the problem with some simple instructions (since I'm not a Linux geek :roll: )?

Thanks in advance.

-alex
alex
Expert

Re: Hang-up while booting the Bitcraze VM 0.5

Post by alex »

Isn't anyone in here who has some experience in troubleshooting Linux installations? :)
DerShu
Beginner

Post by DerShu »

alex wrote:Isn't anyone in here who has some experience in troubleshooting Linux installations? :)
According to your sig your running VMware Player on Windows 7 x64 ?
10 DOF Crazyflie, wireless PS3 controller, Bitcraze VM on VMware Player/Windows 7 x64
I am also running Windows 7 x64, but I am running the Bitcraze VM on Oracle's VirtualBox. I just downloaded VM 0.5 today and installed it in VirtualBox, and everything went great with no problems. I guess I am really not much help, but I just wanted to let you know that the VM 0.5 download seems to not have any problems itself.
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

I used VirtualBox several months ago, but ran into serious problems getting the Crazyradio to work with VirtuaBox' USB filter driver under Win7 x64. After I tried everything without success I changed to VMware Player. Since then I've been fine with all Bitcraze VMs since 0.1.

But thanks for the tip anyway, I'll give it another try.

Further suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: The attached screenshot shows what I see after the Xubuntu boot screen.
Attachments
bitcraze-vm05-boot.png
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

I have seen something similar with the latest Virtual Box on Windows as well. After starting the machine you just see the BIOS Post message and then it's just black. But if you resize the window with the virtual machine it will instantly fix the issue and you can see the desktop.
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

marcus wrote:I have seen something similar with the latest Virtual Box on Windows as well. After starting the machine you just see the BIOS Post message and then it's just black. But if you resize the window with the virtual machine it will instantly fix the issue and you can see the desktop.
Yes, you're correct. Same problem with VirtualBox. I noticed that if you press Ctrl + Alt + F1 the console shows up. Maybe that's a starting point for further investigation? :?

Haven't tried to resize the VM window yet. :D
If that's the solution to the problem, you're my personal hero. :idea: :lol:
I'll let you know.
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

Ok, for VirtualBox the solution actually is resizing the VM window or going to fullscreen - thanks for the tip, marcus!

It seems like VirtualBox is able to switch the resolution according to the VM window size and therefore forces the desktop to update. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for VMware Player. Here the VM window simply shows scroll bars if resized, but obviously isn't able to change the guest's resolution. Maybe the reason for this are the preinstalled guest tools of VirtualBox in the Bitcraze VM.

Thanks for bringing me on track. VirtualBox has made a big development step since the time I had trouble with the USB filter drivers, maybe I'll give it another break.

If you have any ideas for getting the VM to work with VMware Player, let me know. Is there a way of installing VMware tools via console so the guest screen resolution can be altered by resizing the VM window?

By the way, below you find the output after pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1.
Attachments
bitcraze-vm05-console.png
alex
Expert

Post by alex »

Can't believe it! Everything is working in VirtualBox: Crazyradio, PS3 controller via internal bluetooth (qtSixA) - everything works like a charm!

I had given up that this would happen with VirtualBox one day. I moved over to VMware Player at that time - an now... :o :lol:

Thank you for your input - I'm happy. :D
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Glad to hear that it's working!