Defective Motors...

Post here to get support
ross123540
Beginner

Defective Motors...

Post by ross123540 »

Im not sure if their is a manufacturing defect or what. I had two motors fail on me the first one went after about 50 minutes of total flight time and the second motor went after about 20 minutes. As you can guess im rather displeased about this and de-soldering them is the MOTHER OF ALL BITCHES because some of the chips are in the way and im afraid of damaging the PCB/tracks/chips.
The issue im experiencing is the motor seems to become stiff all of a suden, the output to it (on the software) is greater than the other motors, then within two minutes of the symtom developing the motor starts getting very hot and then completely cesses to run.
Is any one ells experiencing this issue?

Im not a happy bunny, used my spare motor and now I cant fly at all, only had it a few days :-(
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Defective Motors...

Post by tobias »

Hi Ross,

I think it can be caused by a couple of things:
1. Hair/dirt being tangled up around the motor axle.
2. The propeller being pressed tight on the motor after a crash
3. The motor bearing being depressed into the motor housing.

Points 1 and 2 are pretty easy to fix and I think you already tested that so we are left with point 3.

Depressed bearing is something that can happen when the crazyflie crashes upside down. You can identify it by looking at the little cylindrical part sticking up from the top of the motor. If it lookes depressed compared to the other motors, that is the issue.

Most often this can fixed by pulling it out with a wirecutter/nippers and a a pliers.
We made a (as usual shitty :)) video of how this can be fixed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgD76HyMLrs

This can be prevented by putting/gluing a spacer between the motor and the the propeller, so the propeller can't depress the bearing, but we havn't had time to look into it. Something I think we should make a higher priority now. If you have any ideas of any good spacer please share.
danielsamuels
Beginner

Post by danielsamuels »

tobias wrote:Depressed bearing is something that can happen when the crazyflie crashes upside down. You can identify it by looking at the little cylindrical part sticking up from the top of the motor. If it lookes depressed compared to the other motors, that is the issue.

Most often this can fixed by pulling it out with a wirecutter/nippers and a a pliers.
We made a (as usual shitty :)) video of how this can be fixed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgD76HyMLrs

This can be prevented by putting/gluing a spacer between the motor and the the propeller, so the propeller can't depress the bearing, but we havn't had time to look into it. Something I think we should make a higher priority now. If you have any ideas of any good spacer please share.
Just lost my spare motor to this. :(

Off to seeedstudio I go to order more!
ross123540
Beginner

Post by ross123540 »

I would order more motors but they are out of stock :-(

As a material, I would use something with a low coefficient of friction, your easiest bet is probably PTFE then graphite or Teflon.
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi,
ross123540 wrote:I would order more motors but they are out of stock :-(
The motors are back in stock again at Seeedstudio.

/Marcus