Completely Autonomous Flight

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
gtmtg
Beginner

Completely Autonomous Flight

Post by gtmtg »

Hi,

I'm using the Crazyflie for a research project. I've already made the necessary hardware and firmware modifications, and I wrote a Python program to control the Crazyflie autonomously. Essentially, I'm checking the values of two analog sensors (attached to the Crazyflie, currently done throught the logging framework) and, if they're below a certain threshold, executing a certain escape maneuver within a control loop (so the maneuver's duration is based on the value of the sensors), before executing a separate landing maneuver. This is done each time the sensor values drop below the threshold.

However, I'm finding that the wireless communication latency is a little too high, and so I'm trying to adapt the algorithm to run on the Crazyflie itself. Any advice/ideas/examples?

Thanks in advance!
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Completely Autonomous Flight

Post by tobias »

Nice, would like to see what you done so far, any chance of a video :)?

What I think you should do is to hook in your algorithm instead of the commander (commander.c), or in parallel. The commander is called form the stabilization module each loop so that way you can insert your own desired set points.
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

This sounds pretty awesome! Could you share any more details? Thanks!
Birdman
Beginner

Post by Birdman »

Any progress on this project?
gtmtg
Beginner

Post by gtmtg »

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry—I've been extremely busy and completely forgot about this thread. I was actually selected as a Google Science Fair Regional Finalist (90 in the world) and a Computer Science Award nominee (15 in the world) for this project! I posted more details (along with links to a video/pictures/etc.) at http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=935.

Thanks so much, and sorry for the delay!