Housing for the Crazyradio Dongle

Discussions and questions about the Crazyradio
foosel
Expert

Housing for the Crazyradio Dongle

Post by foosel »

Heyas everyone,

As I didn't like touching the PCB of the Crazyradio USB dongle of my Crazyflie all the time when plugging it in or out, I whipped up a 3D printable case for it, which might be of interest to any of you who have access to a 3D printer. You can find the STL file here. Hope this is of use :)

Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Housing for the Crazyradio Dongle

Post by marcus »

Nice work, that looks really good :D
skube

Post by skube »

Even though it's just a little plastic box, I'm totally jealous you can design and print out your own part!
Crazyflie Nano 10-DOF | AR Drone v1 | MikroKopter Okto
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I now see it is time for me to get a 3D printer :) . Any suggestions?
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

I just printed out another copy in transparent plastic, now I can see the LEDs again:

tobias wrote:I now see it is time for me to get a 3D printer :) . Any suggestions?
I'm quite happy with my Ultimaker, got the kit version back in November. You might want to check out Make's "Ultimate Guide to 3D Printing", they got a comprehensive test of current 3D printers in there (the rest of it is interesting as well). Makible's Makibox might be an interesting affordable option, that's currently in a closed Beta though and not yet available.

edit
You might want to keep an eye on this tag search on Thingiverse, I'm pretty sure those two things won't stay alone there ;)
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

foosel wrote:You might want to keep an eye on this tag search on Thingiverse, I'm pretty sure those two things won't stay alone there ;)
The frame is awesome. You have any weight figures?
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

I printed it earlier today (was a bit too bendable for my taste though, will have to whip up some alternative, need to find a way to cushion the motormounts from the underside anyway, I don't think that the wires directly on the motors will be happy for long given how often the crazyflie bounces around on them), the kitchen scale refuses to show a value higher than 0g for it, the plastic usage calculation of my print program told me it would need 1g of material though.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

It might be wise to put cushion under the motor mounts, but the wires should not touch if it is not pressed to long into the mount. There is a small stop that should stop it but at the same time let it through in case of a upside-down crash to take up some of the force and hopefully not break the motor or axle. After that the motor might have to be pushed back a bit again.
bstott
Beginner

Post by bstott »

Very cool addition for the radio. And thanks for the link to the deflectors. It looks like I'm printing a box and a deflector after work tomorrow. And getting a controller. Ha, Ha... Toys!

--- The deflectors need to be stronger? Wow, ---- You one Crazyflier! ;) I think, from the looks of the deflector it would take a lot of 'Bang!' to break. ABS and PLA are pretty tough.

And about the motor mount design. Thank you Tobias for your group's attention to details. I thought that is how you motors installed. A little above the bottom so the wires do not stick out. Glad you guys worked on this so hard. And - the motor mounts would have been cool printed but, I can see your final solution is the best.

Now, it looks like I've got to get my LED ring, the induction coil I purchased in December and my Thing-O-Matic and start moddin and flying. Crazy - Crazyflie that is. :D
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

Hi Gina :D
very cool CF mods. Now I want to buy a 3D Printer, too. :lol:
I like the frame design (Training wheels) in the CF pre-release Video:

Maybe you can use the holes are at the edges of the CF to keep hold of the frame, too.
Is it possible to order CF mods from you in the future? :D