Crazyflie spins uncontrollably

Post here to get support
torqu3e
Beginner

Crazyflie spins uncontrollably

Post by torqu3e »

Got mine this afternoon. :D Went through the build, the props spin, oooh yeah!!! It ain't flying, it ain't flying, not enough thrust to take off, stoopid me had soldered all the motors with the same polarity, so went about reversing M2 and M4, still wouldn't take off, wait motors seem to be pushing the air up, that can't be good. Swap props for M2/M4 with M1/M3 and it finally takes off.

Here comes the real issue, now that it actually flies(defined as being airborn) it goes on spinning like a blender, I've tried an xbox 360 controller, a PS3 controller, different profiles, making sure the axis are detected correctly, they are centered in on zero. The works, re read the wiki like 3 times over.

So what gives? Why does this thing go into a tizzy? Have tried playing around with its trim settings and all to no effect. Firmware was upgraded to the one from the wiki. This is the 10 DOF version if that makes any difference.

Someone please help me point what may I be doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie spins uncontrollably

Post by tobias »

Is it spinning really fast? Then it sounds like one or more propellers are spinning in the wrong direction. Can you double check the setup again?
torqu3e
Beginner

Post by torqu3e »

Thanks for responding tobias and apologize for posting in the wrong forum, if one of the mods could move it to the correct one that would be nice.

Here is a pic indicating the rotation direction of each motor, can you tell me if that looks right or wrong to you.

http://www.torqu3e.net/crazyflie.jpg

If the quality is crappy or you need any other details, I'd be happy to get them, just want to make this thing fly.

Thx.

P.S. forum code does not accept [img width=800 height=600][/img] else would've embedded it, otherwise its too large to embed.
atomicdog
Expert

Post by atomicdog »

It looks like you have the props reversed. What you have on M1/M3 should be on M2/M4, and then return the motor wires to match the assembly instructions.
6-DOF CF | wireless xbox 360 controller
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

It looks a bit strange since the color on the motor wires seems to be wrong, should be white and black. Where did you get it?
torqu3e
Beginner

Post by torqu3e »

@tobias : Got it off of ebay, think its not the real deal, or something's wrong with it? or I set it up wrong?
Are the rotations for the motors correct and would one need to resolder the wires or there is scope for change in the firmware before recompiling to the bin?

I'd just like to get it flying, am competent with electronics and computers though new to quadcopters, so a little guidance as to what the problem could be would help a lot.
torqu3e
Beginner

Post by torqu3e »

@atomicdog, what beer do you drink mate! That was it, inverted all the motors, swapped the props and away it goes flying :D Thanks for your help.

Which side is front on the CF? Basically want to orient myself as to where the controller needs to be moved to make the CF move in desired direction, or is there a heading lock mode where it keeps its orientation at all times?
DerShu
Beginner

Post by DerShu »

torqu3e wrote: Which side is front on the CF?

Crazyflie Wiki http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyf ... uide:index

Just below mid page.
qubitter
Beginner

Post by qubitter »

I have a similar problem. Whenever I connect my CF 2.0 to my antenna, it immediately starts trying to take off without me doing anything. Please help! :o
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I'm guessing the target values comes from a wrong input driver. When you start the cfclient what does the target values say? If you connect using a mobile device is the behavior the same?
Attachments
Client target valeus marked in green
Client target valeus marked in green