Working FPV Camera setup with realtime HUD

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
DesTinY

Re: Working FPV Camera setup with realtime HUD

Post by DesTinY »

Looks great! Two suggestions from my site:
-holder model with just 2 or 3 arms
-cam holder with/of soft material for less vibrations. Maybe two parts.
ONEXTW
Beginner

Post by ONEXTW »

omwdunkley,

Used your thread to put together my first FPV system, nothing fancy, no camera mounts (aside from blue-tac) but seems to have come together quite well.

Defiantly onto a winner with the 5V Step-up.

I have horrible luck with photos and the internet so don't know if these will show up but I've attached what i put together based on your work and it all fits together really nicely. I'm using the connection from the headers on the transmitter to act as a mounting point for the camera, at the moment i just have a bit of blue-tac holding the combined camera+transmitter to the board while the cable goes up and over onto the jtag connections.

anyway, wanted to say thanks for putting up a good build page... i doubt i would have known about the voltage issues (Bit of a noob) and probably would have fried a few components before i put it together right.

oh yeah, it goes without saying... that be a bitchin HUD...
Attachments
Complete Bottom, Center of mass is quite close to center of board...
Complete Bottom, Center of mass is quite close to center of board...
Complete Side on... Shows the pitch of the camera
Complete Side on... Shows the pitch of the camera
All together
All together
Transmitter and Regulator
Transmitter and Regulator
Camera with headers
Camera with headers
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

Hey onextw,

Thank you too for sharing! Its great to know I could help, thanks for the effort of contributing here :)
Your pics came through great - youve done a much cleaner job of attaching it all together than I have!

I made some 3d prints, they should arrive tomorrow. Before you go on figuring out how to attach it all, wait a few days and I can let you know if any of the models turned out well. With any luck one of the combinations (tolerances, dimensions etc) should work out and you can order a camera holder from shapways..should be around 5€ + shipping.

Im a total n00b when it comes down to electrical engineering too, Im a pure computer science guy. Choosing that voltage regulator was mostly luck, I had similarly spec'ed ones that didnt work.

Glad you like the HUD!
I dont think Ill have a public version of that available any time soon...too many dependencies, etc and its very tailored to my needs/environment (modified ros packages, etc). If you really wanna give it a try we can work something out. Around the end of the year I hope Ill come up with a modified crazyflie VM that includes the HUD, various input devices andt more advanced things like position hold etc.

Let us know what kind of battery life / ranges you are getting!

Thanks for the motivation :)
Cheers!
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

New camera holders arrived!

I used the wrong pins on all of them but they still fit.
Tested these two variants so far:

and

For more pics see the bottom of https://picasaweb.google.com/1069131066 ... directlink.

They are both designed to be used under the flie and hold the 1g camera from fpv hobby (very) firmly in place. Attached via pegs that click into the PCB. Or with 1mm screws going through the PCB holes into the cam holder (holes already in the design, just needs to be threaded). Ive tested this and it works very well.
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

Wow that does look great!

I like that it can still sit on ground so you can safely callibrate it when it switches on. had trouble with it being so low affecting the Cog?
se5a
Beginner

Post by se5a »

what is the reason for the 5v regulator?
the camera and transmitter you linked to look like they'll both work as low as 3.2v

Edit:
Doh. you did actually say in your first post. I guess I missed some of the text at the bottom.
ignore me.
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

se5a wrote:what is the reason for the 5v regulator?
the camera and transmitter you linked to look like they'll both work as low as 3.2v

Edit:
Doh. you did actually say in your first post. I guess I missed some of the text at the bottom.
ignore me.
Just for kicks, this is what happens when I start the motors ;)
Last edited by omwdunkley on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

For me, it still works ok, just can't handle load while the engines are running. I've made a video sample showing with and without the regulator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LePvdBvVJFA
se5a
Beginner

Post by se5a »

so is the voltage dropping below 3.2v when the motors start up, or does the camera just really not like an uneven voltage?
omwdunkley
Expert

Post by omwdunkley »

Both :D
The camera/tx is really sensitive to noise.
- After a minute of flight all frames are dropped.
- some frames are dropped with high throttle
- noise is only there during throttle