Firmware help for new sensors and actuators

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
someone
Beginner

Firmware help for new sensors and actuators

Post by someone »

Hi Guys,

I am trying to do some modification on the platform. in particular i would like to substitute the MPU6050 with the 9150. Furthermore, I also would like to control two more servos. However i am struggling to understand the code. Does anyone has some felling about what files on the firmware should be changed for:

1-switching the MPU sensor (high priority)
2. control two servo driver more (lower priority).

Do you think it will takes a lot of work (only the software part)?

Furthermore, what program do you use for modifying the Firmware project files? in general I use coide. Is that ok? I was wondering if you have a better IDE to suggest.

Thank you!
marcus
Bitcraze

Re: Firmware help for new sensors and actuators

Post by marcus »

Hi,

Sounds interesting :-)

Currently the magnetometer isn't used so there's work to be done if you would like to integrate it into the sensor fusion. Aside from that all the HAL and drivers are collected in two directories, so that's what you would have to change for using the MPU9150 and controlling the servos. Then the application logic would have to be changed so it does what you would like, this would then be added in the modules directory.

If you quickly want to get started then I would recommend using the pre-configured virtual machine. It contains the full toolchain and Eclipse for project editing.

/Marcus
someone
Beginner

Re: Firmware help for new sensors and actuators

Post by someone »

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for your answer!... I already installed the VM and now I will start to make changes to the project.. I already targeted the files to be changed (at least for the integration of the new sensor). I am undecided if:

1. Make a good work (a lot) by substituting the MPU6050 file with a new MPU9150 file and then also change/recreate the instructions in the HAl level,

2.doing something fast that works by updating only the new registers value inside the the old mpu6050 file (keeping all the other things the same...). In this case, it should work but it will be quite messy to understand the code later on!

After this i will start to work for integration of magnetometer and extra motors..
Anyway, congratulation to the Crazyflie people for the great work that they have done.. it is amazing!

Someone