Some questions

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
jizzbeard
Beginner

Some questions

Post by jizzbeard »

I stumbled across the Crazyflie recently on HackerNews, and was immediately very interested. I've not done much development or programming, but I've dabbled in electronics repair and have done some light soldering and such. I'm wondering how much technical expertise is required to use this device. Will there be code ready to go so it will be minimal set up to fly time?

Would it be possible to program the crazyflie to fly on its own in a predetermined path? Are there sensors that would make it possible to program it to navigate and avoid simple obstacles?

Will there be some sort of code repository where people can post their projects that other people can compile and try out?

I'm very excited about messing around with this. Looks like a very fun project

Thanks!
ataraxic
Beginner

Re: Some questions

Post by ataraxic »

jizzbeard wrote:I stumbled across the Crazyflie recently on HackerNews, and was immediately very interested. I've not done much development or programming, but I've dabbled in electronics repair and have done some light soldering and such. I'm wondering how much technical expertise is required to use this device. Will there be code ready to go so it will be minimal set up to fly time?

Would it be possible to program the crazyflie to fly on its own in a predetermined path? Are there sensors that would make it possible to program it to navigate and avoid simple obstacles?

Will there be some sort of code repository where people can post their projects that other people can compile and try out?

I'm very excited about messing around with this. Looks like a very fun project

Thanks!
Yes, this are the questions I also want to hear the answer from you guys... pls...
scio me nihil scire
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

Hi!

When it comes to getting the Crazyflie in the air what you need to do is the assembly, install the needed software on your computer, connect the Crazyradio and a PS3 gamepad then you are ready to fly. We are working on an installer but currently you have to install the software yourself. Have a look here: http://wiki.bitcraze.se/projects:crazyf ... ls:install

When it comes to sharing you changes with others there's currently two ways. Either you contribute to our repository or you fork the code, make you own changes and then publish it here on the wiki. Both of these are supported by Bitbucket were our repository is hosted.

As for the Crazyflie following a predetermined path or avoiding objects there's no such functionality. But there's an expansion interface on the Crazyflie where you can add your own hardware that could make this possible. One way to do obstacle avoidance would be using IR.
bstott
Beginner

Post by bstott »

I've been setting up for my NEW crazyflie with software installs. When installing PyQt4 there is an error that the version linked to and installing is a binary compiled for Python 3.3 (33?). I installed anyway and an application from within the created Python33 directory, 'Qt Designer' is functional. My question is = How much of my Windoze system and my other Python 2.6/2.7 application environment were just made non-operational?

Inquiring minds - need - to know....

Note: I run many other Python, USB, TTL, Serial type things which, did take some fiddling to get working. I'm now shaking thinking the hours which may be lost/lent/stolen to reconfigure new kludges....

Feature Request:
Could you make a master install script to 'Auto-Magically' install the required environment? I know it is more work to you and this is a development/hacker environment but, it would be kinda nice to the customer/developer/hacker to begin playing/hacking/development with the device rather than the pc, SDK tool string, software user environment, software dependencies, hardware drivers and the like....

Sorry ---- I've spent so much time (20...) setting up systems in the past that I became the expert for build, compile, debug, setup and troubleshooting which caused me to never become the originally planned for awesomeness of development. All because of - 'Oh, before you start you need: A, B, C which depend on T, U, V which require the use of M,N,O and .... ' :(
marcus
Bitcraze

Post by marcus »

We have a plan to make client easier to install but we haven't gotten that far yet :-( As for the whole development environment there's currently no plan to "automate" that install. I would recommend using the Virtual Machine that you can find here: http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60
Using that you won't have to install anything other than the VM software in your host operating system then you are good to go. If you find that anything is missing please post a notice in the thread about the virtual machine and we will add it.