Bolt Motor/ESC/Battery choose

Discussions about quadcopters/multi-rotors
Whitesniper
Beginner

Bolt Motor/ESC/Battery choose

Post by Whitesniper »

I am pretty new to the drone stuff.

I watched the Bolt workshop video and I learned a lot of information about the bolt.

Have a question about the battery. In the video, there is a setup that uses a Li-Ion battery. But I don't want to use that in my project. If I switch to a 500mAh 1S LiPo battery, which is 1/5 of the capacity of the one in the video. Will I also only get 1/5 of the hover time?

Also, I look at the spec sheet from Flywoo, and it said with the config max currency will be 8.3A which is greater than the 7A from the ESC. Does that mean the max currency out from the ESC will be 7A?

(Because I can't find the 5500Kv version anywhere so I have to make some change from the original one)
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Bolt Motor/ESC/Battery choose

Post by tobias »

I'll do my best to answer your questions
Have a question about the battery. In the video, there is a setup that uses a Li-Ion battery. But I don't want to use that in my project. If I switch to a 500mAh 1S LiPo battery, which is 1/5 of the capacity of the one in the video. Will I also only get 1/5 of the hover time?
As a rough guess yes, the 500mAh battery would be lighter so you will most likely get a bit more. The potential issue is probably if the 500mAh battery can supply enough current/power as this is coupled with the capacity. If possible I would go with a 2 cell battery as there are some issues with the Bolt on a 1-cell battery. They are minor and related to the DC/DC converter but better if they can be avoided:
  • When the Bolt is running on one cell battery (3-4.2V) the off current is higher than expected and around 1mA. Workaround: Unplug the battery when drones are not used and don’t just use the power off button.
  • When the Bolt is running on one cell battery (3-4.2V) don’t connect USB at the same time as the battery as the USB is leaking current and charging the battery unintentionally which potentially damages the battery after a while. Workaround: Don’t have the battery and the USB connected at the same time.
Also, I look at the spec sheet from Flywoo, and it said with the config max currency will be 8.3A which is greater than the 7A from the ESC. Does that mean the max currency out from the ESC will be 7A?
It is complicated as it depends on the overall resistance, how the ESC firmware works and the load (propeller) but to me that sounds like good match.
(Because I can't find the 5500Kv version anywhere so I have to make some change from the original one)
rcinpower has a 1202.5 6000Kv motor that seems to have stock.
Whitesniper
Beginner

Re: Bolt Motor/ESC/Battery choose

Post by Whitesniper »

Thanks for the advise. It really help!