Future

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
blondie63
Beginner

Future

Post by blondie63 »

Hi, i've bought a pre-order kit and i've a question: is there in your plane a Mission Planner like http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Mission ?
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Future

Post by tobias »

To be able to do any mission planning the Crazyflie would first need an GPS module. We have not experimented with GPS modules yet but I'm certain the community will. A GPS module wouldn't make much sense without being able to follow a GPS path and then a mission planner would be the next natural step.
bstott
Beginner

Post by bstott »

I looked over the crazyflie specs - it is an STM32F103CB based device. Many in the quadcopter realm have been playing with the STM micro controllers. The sensors are familiar to the flyers also. There is an OpenPilot GCS off shoot project called Tau Labs which has taken the OpenPilot platform (This is a Ground Station application similar to Mission Planner.) to focus on the ST devices. They have hardware, firmware and the groundstation application which should almost be a p-n-p for crazyflie. On the surface it would seem to be a: Configuration file for the crazyflie. This should allow us us to fly WiFi. The project also has GPS models, configuration information, the how/where to solder and use. It might be just a simple thing? Here would be the way point programming on Google Earth :lol: They even have an Android App - use your phone and WiFi to crazyflie. See: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/qua ... ht-control
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Regarding the future, any thoughts relative to updating the MCU to the binary-compatable STM32F4*?

I wonder if it would not make a direct interface to a nano digital video camera, and related processing/transfer of images via Crazyradio, a somewhat more practical.

Just wondering if there's any thinking about adding increased capability to the board!

Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Post number 300, Yay!

If ST releases a 48 LQFP STM32F4 version that would be easy but currently it would require a difficult redesign. The STM32F3 should be pretty easy to change to and I think it is even pin compatible, but no camera interface...

A more advanced Crazyflie would be nice though. Maybe in the future. First it would be interesting to find out the requirements for it. GPS, Camera, long range, etc?
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

Congratulations on the volume of posts! We're all glad to see this level of participation, I'm sure.

I believe you've answered my question. An advanced Crazyflie would be a complete re-design of the board and that offers an opportunity for new features.

It doesn't seem like a LQFP48 would be practical given to the number of additional pin outs needed for new hardware interfaces. Let's not hold our breath for that. Instead, it seems like a modest redesign to include an LQFP64 would offer huge flexibility across the whole of STL's line, breaking ground for whatever future requirements develop.

I wonder if we only need to examine what is now available for larger format 'copters to see what we would dream of doing at this small scale if we could.

But GPS, camera, long range, autopilot, wifi, etc., will inevitably force a larger battery and commensurate payload weight increase, necessitating a larger format. Those larger multicopters are already out there for us to choose from, but I think it's the interest in the micro copter scale that gathered us here.

As you can imagine, I chose to mention FPV merely because it might still be done at the present level of scale, using Crazyradio, which I'd bet most of us would be interested in doing. The F4x7 would seem to make that a lot easier by keeping weight down.

But, if a more advanced STM32F4x7 requires a difficult redesign, then I agree with you, might as well consider other requirements. Start fresh and still work to keep an advanced 'flie relatively small and affordable with a modest increase in payload weight for some subset of potentially available features. All for it.

Rich
Last edited by rmirwin2 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
SuperRoach

Post by SuperRoach »

The form factor is something I definitely love. Having said that, with more consistent lifting power could give a lot more in the way of utilities that could be added on.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Increasing payload capability and making the frame stronger (and still flexible) is something we are looking at, as we also think that is a first step.