Run examples

Discussions about the AI-deck
BadWoman

Run examples

Post by BadWoman »

I followed all the steps on the https://greenwaves-technologies.com/setting-up-sdk/ website to setup my ai-deck but once I tried to run my example code, it returns many lines of code starting with CC and finally report error saying no device found. My deck is powered on and connected to my computer the whole time, and the virtual machine indicates that the JTAG is on the list of input. I do not know what should I do next. Please help。
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Run examples

Post by kimberly »

There are a lot of unknowns in your reporting so please give us more information about your problem:

- Which operating system do you use on your native machine and which OS is on the virtual machine?
- Which virtual machine program are you using?
- What is the exact error message you get (copy paste it here)?
- Can you provide a screenshot of the virtual machine that indicates it?
- Which jtag programmer hardware are you using?
BadWoman

Post by BadWoman »

Sorry for the late update. So I am currently using ubuntu 18.04 system on Windows, and here is a screenshot of the error message after I try to run the example 1.

Error: no device found
Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 15ba, pid 002b, description 'Olimex OpenOCD JTAG ARM-USB-OCD-H', serial '*' at bus location '*' Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/tongchen/gap_riscv_toolchain_ubuntu_18/gap_sdk/tools/gapy/gapy", line 162, in <module>
main()
File "/home/tongchen/gap_riscv_toolchain_ubuntu_18/gap_sdk/tools/gapy/gapy", line 152, in main operationFunc(args, config)
File "/home/tongchen/gap_riscv_toolchain_ubuntu_18/gap_sdk/tools/gapy/run.py", line 146, in operationFunc
raise RuntimeError('Runner has failed with value: %d' % status)
RuntimeError: Runner has failed with value: -1 /home/tongchen/gap_riscv_toolchain_ubuntu_18/gap_sdk/tools/rules/pulp_rules.mk:244: recipe for target 'run' failed
make: *** [run] Error 1

I think I also have trouble posting pictures so this is the best that I can do so far.
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Thanks for the error message. It is indicating that it can not find the programmer that is connected to the AIdeck.
Here are some follow up questions:

1 - So you are currently using a virtual machine program to run ubuntu 18.04. Is this program 'Oracle VirtualBox' or another one?
2- How are you connected to the Aideck? The only way to connect is through an JTAG enabled programmer (see instructions here.
3- If you are using a programmer, let us know exactly which type you are using.

I also noticed that this forum thread is not listed in the right topic, so I will move it to the aideck group.
BadWoman

Post by BadWoman »

Hi, here are the responds to the questions
1. I don't think I am using a virtual machine since the app is straight from the Microsoft Store. I was using the oracle virtual box at first but I found it hard to use.
2. I connected the deck like the picture shown on that link provided. The other end of the JTAG is connected straight to my computer via USB. The deck is powered on during the process since the green lights are flashing.
3. I am not sure if the ubuntu18.04 LTS on the Microsoft Store would count as a programmer but this is the app that I am using right now.

I'm just getting started on this topic so I might not be able to describe my problems very clearly. But I would love to learn anytime. I appreciate your help!

TONG
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Ahh oke so you are using Ubuntu 18.04 WSL on windows so that's interesting!

So the problem with the ubuntu WSl is that it does not provide usb port access... you can test this out by writing 'lsusb' in your ubuntu terminal and you will see an error.

So you have two options:
  • use VirtualBox or VMplayer and port one of your usb ports (For virtual box use the VM VirtualBox Extension Pack as well). This has not been tested with the aideck and the programmer
  • Get a ubuntu native install on a computer. Or set up a dualboot for windows and ubuntu (ask help for this thought since the later is tricky!)
BadWoman

Post by BadWoman »

When I was using the Oracle VM the same error also popped up. I don't think it's the problem of the usb port since I wrote 'lsusb' in the terminal and it didn't report any error.
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

This error is also indicating that it can't find the right programmer:

Code: Select all

Error: unable to open ftdi device with vid 15ba, pid 002b, description 'Olimex OpenOCD JTAG ARM-USB-OCD-H', serial '*' at bus location '*' Traceback (most recent call last):
Could you please post what you see with lsusb? If you fully follow the gap8 instructions, another programmer is used in there than ours.

you might need to indicate a different .cfg file for the gap openocd program indicator:

Code: Select all

export GAPY_OPENOCD_CABLE=interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h.cfg
BadWoman

Post by BadWoman »

So this is what I see after I typed 'lsusb' in my window. I am not sure where should I put the command 'export GAPY_OPENOCD_CABLE=interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h.cfg' in the process. Sorry for such a late update, school work was a mess.
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Post by kristoffer »

The image is unfortunately not displayed. Could you please try again or copy/paste text from the terminal window