Start-up Sound on the Bolt [SOLVED]

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
swilshin
Beginner

Start-up Sound on the Bolt [SOLVED]

Post by swilshin »

Hi Folks
I'm trying to modify the start-up sound played on the motors for the Bolt (don't know if it is different from the cf/cf2/cf2.1), and am running into some issues. I'm trying to find what I need to modify in the firmwareto change the start-up sound (well to start with anyway, I want to have the drone identify itself with sound later on).
Looking at the start-up sequence in system.c, it seems as though the firmware ought to be calling the routines in motors.c (namely motorsPlayTone, motorsPlayMelody or motorsBeep). motorsBeep does seem to be called during the start-up sequence in stabilizer.c, but it doesn't seem like it is playing the start-up sound. In an effort to figure out what exactly is happening I commented out the body of all three of those functions (so they do nothing) in motors.c and the start-up sound still plays. So that doesn't seem to be where the sound is originating.
I tried modifying sound_cf2.c, but this seems to be for the buzzer deck and again changing the sounds it should be playing in in the EffectCall struct effects (I just made it so every call to the melodyplayer function will play star wars as a test), this also didn't modify the start-up sound either (although I sort of expected that).
Sorry if this is a really basic question, but where in the firmware is the start-up melody being initiated for the Bolt?
Cheers
Simon
Last edited by swilshin on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Start-up Sound on the Bolt

Post by tobias »

The reason is that you are probably are using external brushless ESC? These are the ones that are playing the startup sound in that case. I'm not sure if it is possible to change this for the ESC in a simple way.
swilshin
Beginner

Re: Start-up Sound on the Bolt

Post by swilshin »

Ah thanks, that makes a lot of sense and would be why no matter what I changed everything behaved the same way. Didn't occur to me that it might be the ESC making the start-up sound rather than the flight controller.