Thrust commands not accepted when using FrSky TX as controller

Post here to get support
tintin

Thrust commands not accepted when using FrSky TX as controller

Post by tintin »

Hi,
I'm currently trying to control the CF2.1 (via the cfclient, current version) with a FrSky RC transmitter and the corresponding FrSky USB Sim dongle. The TX/dongle is visible in the OS as a joystick. I'm able to "see" and configure this input device in the cfclient menu and I've created an associated input mapping file (attached below). When I move the controls on the TX the corresponding control input values displayed in the cfclient move/change value including the thrust bar (see screenshot). However, the thrust command has no effect, i.e. the motors do not start. When I take off in assisted mode ("hover", the CF has a flow deck) I'm able to control pitch & roll / fwd & lateral speed but not thrust/vertical speed. When I use a PS4 game controller everything works fine, including thrust.
Are there any further diagnostics available (e.g. via the logging framework)? What could cause the thrust commands, that are quite obviously received by the cfclient, not being passed on to the CF?
Thanks and regards
Tintin
Attachments
FrSky.json.zip
the json input mapping file
(400 Bytes) Downloaded 117 times
screenshot showing the thrust command bar from the FrSky TX
screenshot showing the thrust command bar from the FrSky TX
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Thrust commands not accepted when using FrSky TX as controller

Post by arnaud »

Hi,

There is a protection in the Crazyflie that requires you to send thrust=0 before the thrust commands are accepted. Maybe this is what is happening in your case: can you set the trust to 0 with the FrSky controller and then try to increase the thrust?
tintin

Re: Thrust commands not accepted when using FrSky TX as controller

Post by tintin »

Hi Arnaud,

I've just tried setting the "min thrust" parameter in the cfclient to zero % and this indeed did the trick! I'd already adjusted the thrust axis setup in the FrSky TX SW to cover the full range between 0% and 100% so it was obviously just the lower limit in the cfclient.

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful hint. I really appreciate the support from bitcraze.

Kind regards
Tintin