Removable battery

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
aragon
Beginner

Removable battery

Post by aragon »

I haven't had time to do any software mods, but thought I'd share my removable battery mod. An o-ring and piece of soft, tacky foam does the trick. This particular o-ring is 27x1.0 mm.

I also recommend cutting off the teeth on the battery connector case.
Attachments
fliebatt2.jpg
fliebatt1.jpg
Liveunderwater
Beginner

Re: Removable battery

Post by Liveunderwater »

Nice simple way to removing those double sided tape blues. Thanks.
memoryleak
Beginner

Post by memoryleak »

What do you guys think about (adhesive) hook-and-loop tape?
rmirwin2

Post by rmirwin2 »

I'm using Velcro right now. All the solutions with an adhesive scare me a bit in that in principle they might wrench off a component when removed. I like the OP's idea a lot!
Rich
VGer's v1.7.1 frame, 10DOF Crazyflie, Wireless Xbox360 Controller, Virtual Machine on VMware/Windows 7
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

Another velcro user chiming in, this certainly sounds like an interesting approach as well, will try it out!
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
smiler

Post by smiler »

I use velcro as well but I don't think it sticks good enough due to the battery not being flat. I think I'll try to get the items for this and try it out. Any idea on where one can go about to find foamy stuff?
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

I'd try just regular foam tape, tape one side to the battery and leave the other unsticky/covered.

Btw, I'm using velcro plus foam tape, plushy side of the velcro is taped to the foam tape, foam tape is taped to the Crazyflie, hook side of the velcro is taped to the battery. Works ok-ish, I have to hold the plushy side done when exchanging the battery though, the velcro sticks together better that the foam tape and the Crazyflie.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
smiler

Post by smiler »

Hmm I see. I have no problem with the velcro not sticking to the board but the whole battery rig is a bit wobbly because the area of contact is too small/the plush is too long. I have the velcro hooks on the flie and the plushy side on the battery.
aragon
Beginner

Post by aragon »

I tried velcro too at first, but all the issues already pointed out are what I experienced. It's not the way to go IMHO. Although some plush velcro on the upside of the lipo as pictured below aint a bad idea. I think it helps the o-ring grip the cell.

Try find a foam wholesaler in your area, and ask for some scraps. It's a bit more effort, but I think it'll be better than two-sided adhesive foam because the adhesive guards are usually slippery plastic or wax paper. The right foam will be soft and tacky at the same time, and you can still glue it to the board with some contact adhesive or two-sided adhesive film tape.

P.S. I got mine from Sondor in case that helps anyone. I have plenty spare for any Capetonian CrazyFliers :)
Attachments
fliebatt3.jpg
SkyyPunk
Beginner

Post by SkyyPunk »

I happened to have some 3M Command Picture Hanging Strips from some other stuff I was doing and they worked well for my battery. It holds a lot firmer than velcro (medium size can hold ~9lbs, though they are 2x the length of the battery). Just cut one in half and remove the pull tab. Doesn't even wiggle!
IMG_8388.jpg
IMG_8388-2.jpg