No Valid Solution for basestations

Topics related to the Lighthouse positioning system, configuration and use
s1mple
Beginner

No Valid Solution for basestations

Post by s1mple »

Hey :)

I'm following this guidehttps://www.bitcraze.io/documentation/r ... _overview/. I installed opencv and numpy. I flashed the firmware with edited config.mk.
But when I execute get_bs_geometry.py it returns an error: No valid solution for Basestation found.

Any ideas where the error comes from?
kristoffer
Bitcraze

Re: No Valid Solution for basestations

Post by kristoffer »

Hi!

The error means that the angles from the lighthouse deck could not be converted into a position for the Crazyflie.

First thing to check is that you get angel data from the lighthouse deck.
Set up logging for lighthouse.angle0x and lighthouse.angle0y (see https://www.bitcraze.io/documentation/r ... t/#logging) and verify that the values change when moving the deck around.

If you don't get any angles, check that
1. you have compiled the firmware with the CFLAGS += -DDISABLE_LIGHTHOUSE_DRIVER=0
2. the base stations are set up correctly
s1mple
Beginner

Post by s1mple »

Hey :)

first of all thanks for the reply

So I checked and I seem to only get zeros for both values back. I also tripple checked the config.mk. It only contains the lh flag. Is anything else in there necessary? Can I somehow check if it really is used?
Also I thought I'd just mention the LEDs on the deck. while booting blue and red light up. After the rotor check the orange one is lights up additionally for a second. Then only blue remains.

regarding the setup Basestation setup: I use a single Basestation v1. It is set to channel b and the indicator LED is green. What else do I have to configure?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Looks like another problem as the Crazyflie doesn't boot correctly. If you remove the LH-deck does if boot correctly then? Is the mounting direction correct for the LH-deck? Have you flashed the latest release FW?
s1mple
Beginner

Post by s1mple »

I was talking about the LEDs on the Lighthouse Deck. The CFs LEDs light up as described in the getting started guide, so I assume it's booting correctly. I can also connect via Crazyradio or Phone and it flies as expected with and without the deck.

Yes I checked the mounting direction and I flash the firmware from the VM project folder, after running the update all projects script. I renamed the exampe config.mk and uncommented the lighthouse flag.
then I run CLEAN, CLOAD, FLASH using radio.
Everingen is successful. But after rebooting it seems to not recognize the deck.
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Hi!

The LED sequence of the LH deck that you describe, does suggest that it is initialized properly. I assume that if you look in the console tab of the client, it does also say that it has detected the lighthouse deck?

Is this the first time that you used the lighthouse deck? It might be that the connection one of the light receiving sensors has been broken, since in the firmware, if it does not receive from one sensor, all other received angles are put on 0. That might be the cause of your problem.

Could you send a close up picture of the lighthouse deck, either on this thread or to contact@bitcraze.io?
cgpenguin

Post by cgpenguin »

I wanted to note that I am having a similar issue. However, I am using 2 of the V1 base-stations (one in b mode, other in c, they seem to be initialized just fine as their green LEDs are on and I see a red 3x3 grid). The script says "Could not find valid solution for base station 0" and returns the default zeroed out origin and the matrix is set to identity. Same for base station 1.

P.S. Since I have 2 LH decks on my hand I tried swapping them around, but I am getting the same error with the second one. I feel like it's unlikely that both of them have failing sensors.
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

So just to know more about your situation:
  • What kind of LEDS light up when you attach the lighthouse decks?
  • What does the console tab say in the cfclient ?
  • Have you compiled the firmware with the correct define in config.mk on like in the setup guide?
cgpenguin

Post by cgpenguin »

kimberly wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:12 am So just to know more about your situation:
  • What kind of LEDS light up when you attach the lighthouse decks?
  • What does the console tab say in the cfclient ?
  • Have you compiled the firmware with the correct define in config.mk on like in the setup guide?
1) The left-most red LED and the blue LED light up on the Lighthouse deck right away and stay like that when I power the drone on.
2) https://pastebin.com/GpeJR81w is the output when I connect to the drone via the cfclient
3) Yes, I have
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

1)

Oke, this is indeed a problem. What you are supposed to see is the following sequence:
  • First the red and blue led are on for about 2 seconds
  • then a orange led for a few seconds (which is the flashing of the FPGA firmware to the lighthouse system)
  • and then the blue LED is the only one on
See this video for reference: https://youtu.be/QwaJC-cLHSc

2) I actually mean the content of the console tab, which you can toggle on under view>tabs>console in the cfclient. Could you give those instead? (by the way, first time i've seen pastebin, quite handy website!) :D

3) The first point could have indicated that the compile didn't go as planned, since those 2 leds on (and the sequence as I explained above) means that the driver on the crazyflie firmware does not interact with the LH deck. Could you share the content of crazyflie-firmware/tools/make/config.mk here?