Controlling crazyflie with keyboard

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
linrs
Beginner

Controlling crazyflie with keyboard

Post by linrs »

Hey everyone, so I tried following this tutorial to control my crazyflie with a keyboard viewtopic.php?t=1182#:~:text=Then%20go% ... 20keyboard!!! but I have not been successful. The instructions become unclear to me when it comes to configuring the mapping on the crazyflie client, I keep getting a message where I am supposed to centre the thrust axis when I click to 'detect' the thrust and overall I'm just not sure on how this step works. If there are any better methods of implementing keyboard control and any good ones on linux (I run ubuntu 20.04 but I'm following this tutorial on my windows 10 surface book 2) please let me know. I have included screenshots of my vjoy configuration and crazyflie client
Attachments
vjoy.PNG
joystick.PNG
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Controlling crazyflie with keyboard

Post by kimberly »

Hi,

So these instructions does say that the controller requires to have '4 analogue axes' to control the crazyflie manually. I can not see that simulated in the vjoy setting.

So with the message about the thrust axis, the program refers to a joystick or handle that first need to be centered (which is usually automatic if you do not touch the controller, and to push it completely to the full thrust side. In case of the one below, you would need to push the left small joystick all the way to the top.
joystick.PNG
How to do this with vjoy is maybe a bit trickier... I don't see directly how they simulate this same sensation. Also the forum thread that you looked at is quite a few year old so not sure if it would still work like that.

I will try to see if I can get a go with this this week and see if I can get it to work. If you find a solution in the mean time, please post it here.
Flanker27SK
Beginner

Re: Controlling crazyflie with keyboard

Post by Flanker27SK »

I'd be interested as well to see if this tutorial can be applied sucessfully, because I've always had more success piloting things with a keyboard, and don't want to crash an expensive drone because I'm struggling with an unfamiliar set of controls.