Questions before buying lightouse

Topics related to the Lighthouse positioning system, configuration and use
Syoris
Beginner

Questions before buying lightouse

Post by Syoris »

Hi,

I'm a student working on a research project about flying a swarm (~9) of crazyflies. I'm currently using the LPS deck to get the position of the CFs. However, since I'm working from my apartment I currently only have access to 4 anchors and the position isn't very accurate. I looked at the Lightouse and it seems like it could help me get a better accuracy. However, I have a few questions before buying:

1 - Is the position obtained using the LH deck better than using the LPS with 4 anchors? with 8 anchors?

2 - Is there a limit to the maximum number of CF that can fly at the same time using the LH deck?

3 - If I understand correctly, I would need 2 base station and one lighthouse deck per CF. Do I also need the VIVE Controller for the setup?

Thank you! :)
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Questions before buying lighthouse

Post by kimberly »

Hi!

1. Yes lighthouse is much better than LPS system with 4 and 8 anchors. LPS has cm-precision while the lighthouse system has (sub) milimeter precision
2. There is no limit, as it does onboard position similar as with the LPS system. The only limitation is how many can fly in one space and if it is able to keep a visual line of sight with at least one of the basestations. 9 should be perfectly fine, if you are able to create a large enough tracking area at your home. We have flown with 9 crazyflies before at our demos and that was a 3 x 3 x 2 meter tracking area :). Just remember that they should keep flying within the tracking area though.
3. Yes you are correct. We have made a script that enables setup with the 2 basestations and a CF2 with lighthouse deck without using the controller, which you can see right here: https://www.bitcraze.io/documentation/r ... _overview/. The script is a bit new though so there might be bugs in it, but this should work for you.

I've set up the lighthouse system in my kitchen for development while working from home and that is working out great so far. I definitely would recommend it :)
Syoris
Beginner

Re: Questions before buying lightouse

Post by Syoris »

Thanks a lot for your quick answer :)
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Questions before buying lightouse

Post by kimberly »

Ur welcome :) Just to clarify, I'm talking about the vive basestation V1 here. V2 support is still in development