Fix propellers to motors

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
frederike
Beginner

Fix propellers to motors

Post by frederike »

Hello fellow Crazyflie users and/or developers,

This seems like a fairly common problem but I did not find a related post on the Forum.
I am flying the Crazyflie without any propeller guards, and as soon as it as crashes a few times (yes, my flying skills are not amazing ;) ) some of the propellers get loose and fly away the next time I try to operate the drone.

So far my fix was to replace the "broken" propellers, but it doesn't seem to be a sustainable solution. Are there any recommended fixes for this?

Thank you in advance,

Frederike
kimberly
Bitcraze

Re: Fix propellers to motors

Post by kimberly »

Hi!

Have you read this latest blogpost about the propellor issue? https://www.bitcraze.io/2020/03/propell ... ity-issue/

If you bought your crazyflie before march 19th, you propellers might be having the same issue as we explain on the blogpost.
frederike
Beginner

Post by frederike »

Hello! Thank you very much for the reply, we did oversee this blog post indeed, that's helpful! Did you ever find it necessary in your experience to glue the propellers, when they are not broken but just a little bit loose? I am thinking of the solutions shown in this video, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq9xUTC5i9Q&t=133s
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Ah oke now I understand. The propeller can easily come off because of two things: (1) Either propeller is new and the hole is too small and it is not push on the motor well enough or (2) the propeller is older and the hole has been stretched.

Seems like you are dealing with number 2.

I would careful with glueing as it will be difficult to remove the propeller if they get really broken due to crashing. So if you do, only use hot-glue and make sure that the drop is not too big that it will interfere with the aerodynamics of the prop.
frederike
Beginner

Post by frederike »

Alright, thank you very much for the advice!
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

Great. Let us know if this works for you! Then more people will know if this fix works