Beginner Question

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
artistofcannae
Beginner

Beginner Question

Post by artistofcannae »

Hi,

I apologize if this is a really stupid question. But, I am very new to bitcraze and would like to program a drone. I have two issues

1) I was looking at the stem bundle:
https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... ne-bundle/
and I followed the instructions.

My issue being I don't know how to connect the radio. I am using Ubuntu and the radio is not connecting.

2) I installed the VM. But I don't know where to write a program and then how to send that to the drone.

Thank you very much for your time.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Beginner Question

Post by arnaud »

Hi and welcome!

1) Have you followed the getting started with Crazyflie2? https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... yflie-2-0/ without problem?
You can follow the getting started you linked to using the Ubuntu tab. Can you describe more precisely what problem at what step you are having?

2) This is a bit of a broader question and what to do depends of your end goal. Basically Crazyflie can be programmed in at least two ways:
- You can control Crazyflie from your PC using a python script
- You can modify the Crazyflie firmware to implement onboard behaviors

The advice is usually to start developing python script and to modify the firmware only if necessary. The getting started with stem bundle describes how to write a python script to control the Crazyflie. There is also a getting started with development page that describes how to modify the Crazyflie firmware.
artistofcannae
Beginner

Post by artistofcannae »

1) I was able to follow the getting started with crazyflie2.
But my confusion is more are the instruction more for controlling the crazyflie with a controller and not by programming it?

2) So by controlling the crazyflie with python script how do I make the code connect the drone with the wireless receiver? I followed those instructions and I am kept getting an error due to an issue with the receiver.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Step 1 is required to make sure everything is working properly.

What exact error are you getting at step 2? Have you checked that the crazyflie URI is correctly set for your Crazyflie?
artistofcannae
Beginner

Post by artistofcannae »

Wait I realized that part of the setup in part one did not go correctly. Sorry. I think this is the overall issue I am having with the setup.
Everything works until the USB connection needs to be set up. When it says in step: configure USB on the virtual machine
I do not understand where I am supposed to do that. In the VM or in the oracle setup. And in both cases I do not see where to do it.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Ok, yes this is why I insisted on pointing to the getting started. It is good to verify that each step works.

There is some more info about setting up USB for the VM in this stackoverflo post: https://askubuntu.com/questions/25596/h ... virtualbox.
artistofcannae
Beginner

Post by artistofcannae »

I apologize.

Okay so I set up the usb for the VM.

What should I do next?
artistofcannae
Beginner

Post by artistofcannae »

I apologize.

Okay so I set up the usb for the VM.

What should I do next?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

You should follow the getting started guides and if there is any problem at any point, describe where you are in the guides and what problem you are experiencing.
artistofcannae
Beginner

Post by artistofcannae »

Okay, Thank you. So, I'm trying to send python code to the drone with the use of idle from the VM.
The issue is when I try to send the code there is a package loss error.
How can this be fixed?