Crazyflie 2.1 - Autonomous Flight No Takeoff

Discussions about autonomous flight in general, regardless of positioning method
cmoney
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.1 - Autonomous Flight No Takeoff

Post by cmoney »

Hi,

I am trying to get the Crazyflie 2.1 to takeoff and hover using a Python script. Looking at cflib, I see that there is a high level commander that has a command called takeoff(). This command is also a part of the autonomous_sequence_high_level.py found at https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-l ... r/examples.

The problem I am having is that when running this code for example, the Crazyflie does not have enough thrust to takeoff. I have tried using send_setpoint() directly to control the thrust, and I can get it off the ground, but it is very difficult to control. Currently, my Crazyflie is just in the base configuration, but whatever thrust level is commanded by takeoff() to move a specified distance vertically is not enough to offset the weight. Could anyone help me determine why this is the case? I am also wondering how it would takeoff if I were to add a small amount of weight such as the MoCap Deck and markers.

Thanks!
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Crazyflie 2.1 - Autonomous Flight No Takeoff

Post by tobias »

The Crazyflie by it self does not have enough sensors to be autonomous. At least the flow deck is needed to get a relative position. A MoCap system can give its position and then it will work.
cmoney
Beginner

Re: Crazyflie 2.1 - Autonomous Flight No Takeoff

Post by cmoney »

Ok. I am using ROS to send the Crazyflie its position based on the readings from the Qualisys MoCap system. When a command like send_position_setpoint() is used to send the zDistance to the Crazyflie, how does it actually fly to that zDistance? I am just confused because even after sending the position data to the Crazyflie, using the command to send_position_setpoint() just spins up the motors and still doesn’t provide enough thrust for takeoff.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!