how to flash firmware without Crazyradio PA

Post here to get support
bnblzq
Beginner

how to flash firmware without Crazyradio PA

Post by bnblzq »

Hi all,
I am a new guy into crazyflie 2.1 ,and I am confused about how to flash a firmware into the drone.

all I have tried is opening pc client ,and setting the drone into bootloader mode, connecting the drone and pc with usb cable,letitng the pc client into bootloader mode according your official instrcution . But the client side seems not recognise the drone , and a CLI windows just reapeatly prints "found 0 device" .
cannot find dongle
cannot find dongle
0 deivice
0 deivice
do I must buy a Crazyradio PA to continue my flashing procedure ? or is there any other way to flash the firmware just using a usb cable?

thank you so much~~~~~~
bnblzq
Beginner

Re: how to flash firmware without Crazyradio PA

Post by bnblzq »

by the way, I forgot to mention my pc version is windows 10 . :D
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

It is possible to do it through dfu: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:crazy ... fu?s[]=dfu. But I must warn you, if you do this the wrong way you will break the bootloader and you would need an crazyradio or a debugger anyway... So I wouldn't risk it if you are a novice. You can also flash new firmware from the iphone/android app for the crazyflie but that is a bit slow and tedious if you want to do development.

I would just get a Crazyflie PA if I were you.
bnblzq
Beginner

Post by bnblzq »

thank you for your response.

For now , I will buy a PA for OTA upgrade.

And in the future I will buy a adaptor and a jtag for further development bebause I want to change some way in freertos for Process scheduling . So I want to ask about is there any uart port for my debug purpose? If yes, which pins should I do the solder ?

Thank you again for your attention~
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

We also have a debugger available as well: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:crazy ... pter:index. We use this with stlink/v2 and then we use the white connector on the crazyflie to debug the stm32f4 processor. The instructions on the page is for soldering an adapter if you want to do the same with the nrf51 chip, but not necessary if you just want to work on the STM.
bnblzq
Beginner

Post by bnblzq »

thank you for your response.

Maybe I have not expressed my opinion clearly. I wonder whether if there is an approach to debug with serial port(because from the stm32fxxx datasheet ,I realise that there are more than 1 set of uart ports) ? and I cannot see any label on the adaptor board printing "com or uart" .

Or the only way to debug is to use the st link v2 with the adaptor board ? :D
kimberly
Bitcraze

Post by kimberly »

I haven't tried that myself but I'm sure that @arnaud @marcus or @tobias would know. They are on a holiday now but if you send us a reminder in a week or so, they will answer or I will ask them.

If you are interested of where the uart ports are on the pinouts, you can see it here: https://wiki.bitcraze.io/projects:crazy ... ort_pinout. Better than soldering them on the STM itself, since you can also use an prototype deck or even just a battery holder to solder the connectors for your debugging.