7x16mm motor vs 7x20mm motor for CF

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
aybarskizilay
Beginner

7x16mm motor vs 7x20mm motor for CF

Post by aybarskizilay »

Hello everyone,

According to the CF product website, max. recommended payload weight for CF is 15g.

I was searching forum about how to increase the max. recommended payload weight. I have found this thread, where several different coreless motor options are discussed. viewtopic.php?t=871

In that thread, Tobias is telling that 7x20mm coreless motor is tested. Is there any changes regarding the max. payload weight?

Because, in that blog, multiple CFs are literally lifting a box. https://www.bitcraze.io/2017/11/modquad ... tructures/

Does anyone know which motor type implemented in there?

Thanks

Aybars
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: 7x16mm motor vs 7x20mm motor for CF

Post by tobias »

By going to 7x20mm coreless motors and suitable propellers for these you can easily double the payload capability. Will also require a bit bigger battery, maybe around 300mAh. That should also possible to find.

Unfortunately I'm not able to recommend any specific motor but I think most of them should work. If you can find a type with molex picoblade connector as well it will make connection of them easier. Also the polarity might have to be switched in the connector to get them to spin in the correct direction.
aybarskizilay
Beginner

Post by aybarskizilay »

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for the answer.

What do you mean by proper propeller for 7x20mm motor? I found one that 55mm. Do you think it is fine?

Can you share the specs of propeller that would be suitable to 7x20mm motor?

Thanks in advance
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

There is no simple answer to that since motors can be configured different however they will most likely not be incompatible, only less efficient but higher thrust etc. Since the propeller might be hitting decks I would say 55mm is max that can mechanically fit.