Lighthouse working space dimensions?

Discussions related to positioning systems where the position is calculated outside the Crazyflie and sent to the device using radio, including MoCap systems
coreysnipes
Beginner

Lighthouse working space dimensions?

Post by coreysnipes »

Hey guys, I'm really excited about the Lighthouse release and the potential with IR position tracking. Onboard position awareness is a big accomplishment. I am new to both IR and VR but am following the wiki (https://wiki.bitcraze.io/doc:lighthouse:setup) to get started.

I realize it's still early days, but do you have a sense for the size/dimensions of a typical Lighthouse-based working space? e.g., 10 ft x 10 ft? I understand the current deck requires the CF to remain 40" below the base stations, so I assume you're mostly limited by the height of your ceiling when indoors.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Re: Lighthouse working space dimensions?

Post by arnaud »

It is still a bit early to be sure about the max space using basestation V1. One limitation is the optical synchronization of the lighthouse basestations: they need to be less than 4m appart for the optical sync to work. If you use the wired synchronization you should be able to have them further appart. From early tests it seems that the Crazyflie can receive a strong signal from the basestation at least at 6m distance, so 5x5x3m should be possible without much trouble.

You are correct for the height, it will mostly depend of your ceiling. It is not 40'' but 40cm (0.4m) though :-).
coreysnipes
Beginner

Re: Lighthouse working space dimensions?

Post by coreysnipes »

> It is not 40'' but 40cm

Gah - right! Thanks for the tips. I look forward to getting everything up and running.