Broken Crazyradio USB mount - Is it fixable?

Post here to get support
skube

Re: Broken Crazyradio USB mount - Is it fixable?

Post by skube »

I just tried swapping green and white but still no luck. :cry: Still lights up red and green LEDs solid though.

Any other suggestions?
Crazyflie Nano 10-DOF | AR Drone v1 | MikroKopter Okto
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

I've seen that the USB cable manufacturer does not always hold on the standard colors. So every could possible! I've even seen that red was minus :o :roll:
Maybe you can check the USB terminals to your soldering points. Wiki USB

BTW: My red and green LEDs lights up solid at PC start up and dongle connected. So i think your power isn't the Problem.
Have you checked your CR on other devices (with installed drivers) than your Raspberry Pi?

@Bitcraze Is there any shared connection to the broken PCB pads like GND?!. If the pad is gone maybe some components have no connection e.g. to GND?!
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Hmm, these things are always hard to debug without the right equipment. If you soldered it to the edges of the components broken pads shouldn't a problem I think. Can you check that you didn't manage to short circuit D+ and D- with a multimeter?
skube

Post by skube »

Well I have a multimeter, but I wouldn't know how to check for a short circuit exactly. :oops:

@DesTinY: I have access to my friend's Crazyradio and it does not behave the same when plugging into my Rasp Pi (i.e. LEDs go out instead of staying on)
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

skube wrote:Well I have a multimeter, but I wouldn't know how to check for a short circuit exactly. :oops:
Set your multimeter to measuring resistance (any range should work), if you have a short the resistance should be 0. Some/most multimeters also have a "diode test" setting, optionally with sound, that allows to check for connection/shorts:

Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
skube

Post by skube »

Thanks foosel. That helps and yet I'm still rather clueless as to what to do next, do I measure across each resistor?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-05-25 at 1.20.52 PM.jpg
skube

Post by skube »

FYI, here's how I setup my multimeter, just in case...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-05-25 at 1.22.56 PM.jpg
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

To check what tobias asked you (short between D+ and D-) you'll have to measure between those two lines... I think it was green and white? So don't plug the USB into anything, put one of your probes on the solder joint of the green, the other on the joint of the white (apply some pressure, you really have to make contact here, like when you put the two probes together), and see what the multimeter tells you.

edit Btw, you can use the same method to check what DesTiny suggested. Put one probe on the respective connector in the USB plug and the other on the expected matching solder joint on the PCB. If you get a resistance of 0, the wire is at it's correct place.
Also: AR.Drone 2.0 (RC-enabled thanks to self-soldered MiruMod) and Hubsan X4 H107
skube

Post by skube »

I tried checking the USB cable (as you and DesTinY suggested) and I think the green and white wires are indeed correct (had to be swapped from their original orientation) for my particular cable. As for checking for a short between D- and D+, if I'm doing it correctly, then I see a reading of 763:
Attachments
d-test.jpg
Last edited by skube on Sat May 25, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foosel
Expert

Post by foosel »

At least it's not 0. Just checked myself and I'm reading a 1950 here. 640 between C10 and R1.

As we are already measuring anyways, also check for a short between the white and the black cable and make sure that red and black match the pin-out as demanded by the diagram (just to be on the safe side)