Crazyflie 2.0: Can't Take Off or Spins Uncontrollably

Discussions and questions about the Crazyflie Nano Quadcopter
jamestrada
Beginner

Crazyflie 2.0: Can't Take Off or Spins Uncontrollably

Post by jamestrada »

Hey guys!
I just bought a Crazyflie 2.0 and I have had the need to ask for help since I don't know what I'm doing wrong or my unit is damaged.
I went through every step on this site: https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... yflie-2-0/ on how to assemble the drone and followed it religiously. I passed the self-test and installed the app, and the moment when I gave some thrust or full-thrust, the drone didn't lift off at all.
I thought the problem was with my propellers as it seemed that it was the common cause for many, but no, mine are placed correctly. My propellers don't have "the ring" and they are labelled "A1" for the CW propellers and "B2" for the CCW propellers.
When I place the A1 propellers on wings M2 and M4 and the B2 propellers on wings M1 and M3 (as how it is supposed to be), my drone doesn't take off, but interestingly if I switch them (A1's on M1 and M3, B2's on M2 and M4) my drone lifts off, but it starts to spin either to the right or the left as soon as it takes off.
I don't know if the "getting-started" website has instructions for an older model or my crazyflie came different, because no matter which propellers I put on M1 and M3, they will always rotate CW as supposed to CCW. Likewise, for M2 and M4 they rotate CCW as supposed to CW. That's why I think it works when I put the CW propellers on the CW wings and the CCW propellers on the CCW wings, albeit this form makes my crazyflie to spin.
Why does my crazyflie spin and why my configuration is different from the instruction manual? I installed the latest firmware, I tested all the possible variations for the placement of the propellers on the wings (face down, CW instead of CCW, etc..), but it only takes off the way I described earlier.
I appreciate any input I can get on fixing my drone :)
Jens_Lee

Re: Crazyflie 2.0: Can't Take Off or Spins Uncontrollably

Post by Jens_Lee »

Hi jamestrada. That sounds annoying.

Can you take a photo of the CF assembled as you think it should be? Then it will be easier to troubleshoot for any potential errors.
jamestrada
Beginner

Post by jamestrada »

Attached is the image of the setup that I think is how this section of the instructions says it should be: https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... infostep20
However, that setup doesn't make it fly...
Attachments
Craziflie2.jpg
Jens_Lee

Post by Jens_Lee »

That looks exactly right, and like my setup, except i don't have the new markings on the propellers.

How are you flying the drone, phone app or cfclient?
jamestrada
Beginner

Post by jamestrada »

Hi Jens_Lee,
I am using the phone app. Did the same thing happen to you? Did you have to switch the propellers in order to make it spin, but at least fly?
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

I agree that the setup looks rigth. Are the propeller turning on the direction of the arrow draw on the Crazyflies 'arm' ?
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Hi!

There has been some rare cases were the pins in a motor connector has been switched. During the startup the propellers does a test spin. Can you check that the propellers ares spinning in the directions indicated by the arrows on the motor arms?
jamestrada
Beginner

Post by jamestrada »

@tobias @arnaud
Seems like mine is a rare case then, because unfortunately all propellers are spinning in the wrong direction as indicated by the arrows on the wings. :cry:
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

This is a bit worrying... In the rare cases only one of the motors has been spinning in the wrong direction. Can you please take a picture of the backside so we can see the motor connectors.

The quickest fix to this is to switch the pluggs in the motor connectors. Using something small and sharp, like a needle, the "stopper" can be lifted up and the pluggs pulled out.

Also from where and when did you get your CF2?
jamestrada
Beginner

Post by jamestrada »

@tobias
Attached is the backside of my Crazyflie 2.0 as how it is supposed to be assembled. I ordered my product on the 2nd of March of 2018 with order #2031 through this site: https://store.bitcraze.io/collections/b ... 3833397013
I hope I got an original product...
Attachments
backsideCF2.jpg