a problem about VM

Discussions about all things Bitcraze
linlin2017
Beginner

a problem about VM

Post by linlin2017 »

Hi developers,
I have a question about the VM. I have installed the Oracle virtualBox and BitcrazeVM in my Windows PC, but when the VM is running, nothing is displayed except black background. Then I installed the Oracle virtualBox and BitcrazeVM in my Mac PC, the software installed in the VM can be displayed and I can use these softwares to build and download the projects. Today I bought a gamepad named Sony playstation 4 gamepad. I connected it to my Mac PC by a USB data cable, and I set VM following the tutorials. However, when I start the VM on my Mac PC, the VM can't work. The VM displayed a black background only, as it displayed on my Windows PC. I want to know the reason about these problems, and what should I do to solve them. Thank you. :)
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: a problem about VM

Post by tobias »

Unfortunately we have started to see instability with virtualbox, so far mainly with its USB driver and this black screen is new to be. I suggest turning to a virtualbox community to get help with that problem.

What about trying to installing the tools natively instead?
linlin2017
Beginner

Post by linlin2017 »

tobias wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:25 am Unfortunately we have started to see instability with virtualbox, so far mainly with its USB driver and this black screen is new to be. I suggest turning to a virtualbox community to get help with that problem.

What about trying to installing the tools natively instead?
I tried to install the tools natively on my Windows PC. Then my Playstation 4 could control the crazyflie 2.0, however, the link quality became bad and even the connection failed when I created a thrust by the Playstation 4. Do you have some suggestions to solve the problem? Thank you. :)
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

You can try setting the radio link to 2Mbit/s and change the radio channel to find one that has less interferences.
linlin2017
Beginner

Post by linlin2017 »

arnaud wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:27 am You can try setting the radio link to 2Mbit/s and change the radio channel to find one that has less interferences.
Thank you. It became better when I set the radio link to 2Mbit/s. I also have a question that sometimes the link quality is well, but the client can't display the attitude information of crazyflie 2.0 and Playstation 4 can't control the crazyflie 2.0. And when I restart my PC, the problem can be solved sometimes.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Are you running the latest version of both client and Crazyflie? Older version has had locks at connection like the one you are describing, but it should now be solved.
linlin2017
Beginner

Post by linlin2017 »

arnaud wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 pm Are you running the latest version of both client and Crazyflie? Older version has had locks at connection like the one you are describing, but it should now be solved.
Yes. I am running the latest version of both client and crazyflie firmware. The client version is 2017.06, and the crazyflie 2.0 firmware is updated by double-clicking the shortcut icon 'update all projects' in the VM.
arnaud
Bitcraze

Post by arnaud »

Hi,
By running the "update all" script you are pulling the very latest version of the client. Though you are not updating the Crazyflie just by doing that. To update the Crazyflie you need to flash it using the client and the radio bootloader: https://www.bitcraze.io/getting-started ... #latest-fw

If you are on Windows, you can also try the Windows native client: https://github.com/bitcraze/crazyflie-c ... ag/2017.06. This would allow to verify if the problem comes from the VM or from something else.