Brushless Controller

Firmware/software/electronics/mechanics
cracklecrackle
Beginner

Brushless Controller

Post by cracklecrackle »

Hey all,

i'm interested in switching to brushless motors, build a big frame for the crazyflie and use bigger LiPos to increase the flight time. In this post http://forum.bitcraze.se/viewtopic.php? ... s+power#p7 Arnaud posted that Tobias tested controlling brushless controllers with the crazyflie.

I asked Tobias about that and here's his answer:
tobias wrote:We have just done some early test with this and it is something we plan to do but the problem now is to find time for it. Can you open a development thread regarding this and we can take it from there?
I have no experiences with brushless controllers and mean experiences with electronics / microelectronics. I work as a software engineer in web technology so the programming part (if necessary) will be probably not the biggest problem after doing the first little steps. I've build up some model boats and airplanes about 10 years ago but the technology back then was not as complex as today. So i need the help of the community and i hope others will like this project too.

Your experience, opinions and ideas are welcome :)

Patrick
Crazyflie Nano 10-DOF
tobias
Bitcraze

Re: Brushless Controller

Post by tobias »

Great you have got this going. I'll be away on a trip until 13th of May and will have limited internet access so until then I wont be able to do much. We did a first discussion in a blog comment if anyone is interested: http://www.bitcraze.se/2013/04/soon-pre ... ment-31589
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

Just posting some pictures from my test setup I'll be using for development. Frame from hobbyking
Attachments
CF Brushless frame2.JPG
CF Brushless frame2.JPG (97.67 KiB) Viewed 12652 times
CF Brushless frame.JPG
CF Brushless frame.JPG (115.9 KiB) Viewed 12652 times
DesTinY

Post by DesTinY »

:o That looks so Wonderful. I love it! :lol: :D
And huge opportunities!
cracklecrackle
Beginner

Post by cracklecrackle »

Really nice pictures! 8-) What i wonder how connected the ESCs to the Crazyflie? As far as i know the ESCs need a control signal normally sent by the radio controller.

I think i will use standalone ESCs because there are more possibilities with the mainframe design, but first i have to learn more about how to connect them etc. :roll:
Crazyflie Nano 10-DOF
pablo_paul
Beginner

Post by pablo_paul »

adafruit do a i2c to pwm/servo board for not a lot of money http://www.adafruit.com/products/815 They have a good tutorial on it's use very simple I think the example is in python. I have one on my desk that I haven't used yet I sourced it here in the uk.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

As I have posted in the blog we have successfully flown a bigger quad using the Crazyflie as control board. Be aware that this is totally experimental though and if might be wise to make sure you have a good radio link before anyone tries it out. Also we flashed the PCB frame BLMC with the SimonK firmware and I'm not so sure this is working 100%. I actually managed to put two of the MOSFETS on fire while testing them by stalling one of the motors.

The brushless driver can be activated by defining BRUSHLESS_MOTORCONTROLLER and is available in the brushless_driver branch. Don't flash this on a regular Crazyflie with then stock brushed motors as it will turn them on at full speed when it is started. This because the signal is inverted for the brushless driver.
tobias
Bitcraze

Post by tobias »

I got a request about motor setup.
What I use is these motors as they actually fit into the mounting holes of the frame which the HK suggested ones didn't. I used these 5030 3 bladed props.
rebit

Post by rebit »

Hello guys more on here with a lot of interest in this topic !

I buy my v2.0 kit today and my objective is build a huge drone with Crazyflie board controller.

I will use Ducky EDF brushless motors.

regards, Cristian
rebit

Post by rebit »

Guys i need 45 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless for my project with Crazyflie.

I will be grateful if someone can give me a recommendation of ready ESC model that not requires update with SimonK firmware.